Dying mango tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGPT

Troll. Pronouns “He” and “Him”
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on the border fence of my neighbors house there is a mature mango tree. Decent size, say 10m (30 feet) tall, similar or slightly greater width branches/foliage.

When we moved into this house ~20 years ago, the tree was quite healthy (or seemed to be) and some years we got more fruit on our side than we and our friends, relatives and workmates could eat. Other years less, but pretty good.

Now, and for 2-3 years I guess, the tree has had few if any leaves, at the end of some branches, there are new shoots and leaves, and sometimes even flowers. But something is clearly VERY wrong. The tree is alive since it has those new shoots, but it’s only just alive, and another year or two and I’m sure it will be dead. And it’s dropping dead sticks more than I remember, so small branches are dying.

Nothing obvious wrong? No sign of pests, or disease I can see, but I don’t know what to look for. Any obvious candidates? Any basic treatments that can’t hurt, might help?

Mango is one of my favorite tropical fruits, it was the first tree I fell out of being 6 yrs old climbing for the fruit.
Unfortunately mangos are susceptible to a number of diseases. Wilt is a big one anthracnose and verticillium are others.
Without pictures and more information we can only guess.

Mango is one of my favorite tropical fruits, it was the first tree I fell out of being 6 yrs old climbing for the fruit.
Unfortunately mangos are susceptible to a number of diseases. Wilt is a big one anthracnose and verticillium are others.
Without pictures and more information we can only guess.
Thanks, I’ll get a few picks today.

My wife and MIL also love the mangos. But sadly I won’t be getting any more unless I can treat whatever is wrong.

Not sure if the photos show much. The tree is not dead, you can see new shoots here and there. Plenty of dead branches and ends but plenty of live branches/wood. But, I suspect it’s going to be all dead branches in a year or two if I can’t solve the issue.

Very few leaves on the tree (like literally 5 -10 leaves) but we are well into autumn now.

No obvious insects (well, not enough to worry me).

Nothing clearly wrong on the trunk or major branches/bark.

I can't make a diagnosis from the pictures. Mango is a important agricultural crop to many countries. Thus there is plenty of resources and information on the net. Look for mango diseases, the most common one is anthracnose. You may find a picture of something similar to your issue.
You can start doing a few things. Sanitation, clean up and remove all debris from the tree, leaves, twigs and old fruit. Take a soil sample adjust PH and fertility accordingly. Proper water management is important.
Don't be surprised if the treatment involves spraying the tree with a copper fungicide. I can't make a recommendation without a positive ID on the pathogen.
https://plantvillage.psu.edu/topics/mango/infos

Back