Dyna SC-16

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got to run one for a short time. My wife's friends husband, and his friend rented one Saturday. There were four of us. One almost full time job was rotating out two dump trailers and dumping at another farm a few miles away. It was a good day, but not without issues, as none of us had been around a processor before. I was invited to come see it run, and ended up staying for seven hours.

One guy switching out trailers and loading the log deck. One guy running the machine. One helping with the log trough hang ups, short cut blocks, and re-splits on the operators side. One on the opposite side of the splitter trough for re-splitting. Of course when the log trough hangs up it often took two. This was because we did not have a cant hook to roll logs. Also many of the hang ups could have been avoided if the logs had been prepared/trimmed better.

One of the pluses was that they were splitting boiler size chunks. Re-splitting was at a minimum, and we still did an awful lot of it. It is difficult to re-split because of guards, and the basic design obstructs it. We also jammed the wedge a huge number of times, and soon discovered dropping a 6" dia. piece 6" long in the bottom of the splitting trough concentrated the pressure enough to push part of the round through.

Knowing what we know now two guys could make a much smoother go of it. However, were talking boiler wood, which simply would not work for myself selling stove wood.

I could see a processor set up with a box wedge and auto round return bar, where the splitter would cycle until the round it split, then cut another round and continue. Something like the Biomass splitter does.

We did do a lot off wood, but then again, four guys and the cost of the processor...
They offered to pay me at the end of the day, but the education was payment enough. I think I now have a much better idea of what to look for if and when I do need a processor to lighten the load.IMG_4525.jpgIMG_4523.jpg

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/6055837029.html

Hard to tell from the picture but it might be the same one. How many cord do you think you got split in a day. What was the rental charge? I'm surprised you could rent one. Seen guys offering to come set theres up and split your logs but to be able to rent one and run it yourself seems like a pretty rare occurrence.

There are two places here that rent Dyna's. He rented it in Everett, MI where they build them. As for price, I was confused. He said $600. a weekend, or (16 hours run time). Then later he said $400. a day, 8 hours run time. We were done in seven hours run time. The machine had 465 hours on it.

As for the amount split it would be a wild guess because I never saw it stacked, and I wasn't there until 9:00 am, well after they started. We did a lot of trailer loads using a 10' dump and 14' dump. Maybe a dozen or perhaps more. The wood varied in size from 6" on the small side to 22", with most 12"-16" range. There was a lot of bigger stuff we could not run through it. Predominantly Oak, some Cherry, and a bit of Hickory. Changed out the chain once mid morning.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that we used the machine free standing. Not hitched to anything. Two things about that. Oak in the conveyor made the tongue end light and lift many, many times. Also, when loading the deck, bumping it with the forks shifted the conveyor above the dump trailers.

The machine looks the same but it is a SC 14. The SC 16 we used had a diesel, and I believe it was a tandem axle. It would be nice if the log deck had a fourth support so bowed logs could be cut in half on the deck. Several times they cut logs in the feed trough, which means cutting while in a bad position.

As I say, it was a great education. I have seen a guy run one once before. He was loading into a truck, and resplitting everything in the splitter trough, before making his next cut. It appeared painfully slow. The alternatives probably wouldn't be any faster though.

The beauty of these machines is that they are simple. One of the things running a machine does is get you thinking of a better design, but that complicates things. Harder/more costly to build, and maintain. It's a trade off. Build the ultimate, and price yourself out of everyones price range.
So if it sounds like I'm bashing this processor I'm not really. It is easy to focus and point out short comings, but in the end, we processed a lot of imperfect logs, turned them into firewood, and had fun doing it. There is a learning curve. I recall one member here saying his brother was faster running a processor than he was, but that had a lot to do with how well the logs were prepared, and culled out, to get more production.

log prep and size is key to getting maximum output. small stuff is painfully slow to get any volume but goes thru without much issues, crooked or poorly trimmed logs can be a nightmare to run thru and too large of logs for the wedge produces splits that need resplit and as you found out, that isnt exactly easy on a processor. All of those factors reduce output but even adding all of those into the equation the labor input is drastically reduced, but not neccasarily time input

My opinion only is that for a single operator or someone with one 1 other worker you would be better off with a vertical splitter like the Timber devil. You can make the splits whatever size you want however it is much more labor intensive because you have to cut the rounds and it's more physical work handling the rounds. Is there a processor out there that cuts the rounds and then allows you to split them vertical? The Aussies must have something like this down there. They appear to use a lot of vertical splitters.

My opinion only is that for a single operator or someone with one 1 other worker you would be better off with a vertical splitter like the Timber devil. You can make the splits whatever size you want however it is much more labor intensive because you have to cut the rounds and it's more physical work handling the rounds. Is there a processor out there that cuts the rounds and then allows you to split them vertical? The Aussies must have something like this down there. They appear to use a lot of vertical splitters.

with a one man show it just becomes a mandatory thing to keep tight tolerances on the size wood you put thru the processor....I have a Dyna SC-12xp and as a one man show i can do 2 cords of wood in about 1 1/2 hrs as long as i keep the wood between 6" and 14". if i go smaller it takes longer but there isnt any extra labor involved. bigger than 14" requires more time and actually becomes labor intensive because of resplits. it still doesnt compare the labor it takes with a chainsaw and standard box store splitter though

Back