E85 cani run my saw on ethanol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidooruffie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what might i damage? i use amsoil synthetic at 100 to 1. its 70 cents cheaper and i am thinking about ua=sing it in all my small engins. I dont have anything real fancy just alot of that i got running for free so no big deal if i other crap roach a mower, but don't wanna wreak the big bad 757 shindaiwa. thanks:confused: :confused:

skidooruffie said:
what might i damage? i use amsoil synthetic at 100 to 1. its 70 cents cheaper and i am thinking about ua=sing it in all my small engins. I dont have anything real fancy just alot of that i got running for free so no big deal if i other crap roach a mower, but don't wanna wreak the big bad 757 shindaiwa. thanks:confused: :confused:[DON'T BE AFRAID TO BREAK SOMETHING EVEN IF ITS YOUR'S ]

I can think of a few reasons why not:

E85 will eat the gaskets, fuel lines & anything plastic.
For a given volume, E85 has less BTU's than gasoline so you'll need to re-jet the carbs.
Oil & alcohol don't mix well.
Alcohol is hygroscopic, so it'll absorb moisture.

Let us know what happens - "Enquiring minds want to know."

he used the Amsoil word

You might want to do a search on "amsoil"... raging debates last year on this... Ben, where are you?

Me, I'll just stay with my ordinary 40:1 or 50:1 mix.... and buy premium gas.

E85 is one of the current engineering "challenges" presented in a recent Stihl regional dealer meeting.. and it sure isn't recommended...

There was another thread on this very subject recently.

It won't work; you'll probably never even get the saw started.

You'll need to rejet the carb to flow approximately 80% more fuel than it does now; in some cases those little diaghragm carbs won't even pump enough even if you drill them out to flow enough. Of course, you can figure out mounting and linkage to fit something like a Tillotsen HR on your saw, but as Mbopp alludes to, it will also use about 1.75 times as much E85 to do the same work as gasoline...maybe more because of the crappier mixture control with the huge carb...

Have any of us ever seen midget racers or alcohol dragsters after a run...there is frost on the intake manifolds! Snomobile racers experimented with methanol, and experienced a lot of troubles getting enough heat to the intake stream to vaporize the alky...special shielding to enclose engine heat, air intakes that grabbed air from around the cylinder heads, etc., and still they were unreliable in the winter. Since we know that methanol vaporizes even more easily than ethanol, how are you going to get the E85 mixture to vaporize in your saw?

But, good luck!

If you used 5 gal of saw fuel/yr, you would save $3.50. I wouldn't risk it on a $400+ saw.
Scott

Latest posts

Back