Stihl Ethanol fuel Guidelines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
Here's the text from a Dealer document just put out by Stihl on the use of Ethanol blended fuels in their equipment.

Additionally, Stihl has been adjusting (at the factory) all their equipment for 10% Ethanol since Jan 06. For those lucky enough not to have to deal with E10, that means the factory setting is slightly rich. For E10 (if manufactured in 2006) you don't have to do anything. A minimum octane requirement of 89 is also required for all gas, E10 or not. A saw adjusted for unblended gas running on E10 will result in an RPM increase of 800-1000 rpm.

Anyone have other published info from Husky, Shindaiwa or whomever? - please publish it in this thread so we can compare.

>>><<<

Stihl Incorporated
Bulletin #DLR 2006-02
July 28, 2006

E10 Ethanol Fuel Guidelines
Contents
1. Gasoline Containing 10% Ethanol
2. Guidelines for Using E10 Gasoline
3. Summary

1. Gasoline Containing 10% Ethanol

Many areas of the country now have mandates in effect for oxygenated gasoline and are introducing gasoline that contains 10% ethanol, sometimes referred to as “E10 gasoline”. Users of STIHL power equipment are becoming concerned that these fuels will damage their equipment’s engine. With a minor amount of care and a little preventative maintenance, gasoline containing 10% ethanol can be used in STIHL power equipment. Oxygenated and E10 gasoline is designed to burn cleaner and reduce air pollutants. These fuels have been available in regional areas of the country for many years and are becoming more common throughout the United States.

2. Guidelines for Using E10 Gasoline
If the proper precautions are taken, gasoline containing a 10% quantity of ethanol should not generally cause a problem in STIHL products. The following simple precautions will help to avoid major engine damage when using today’s 10% ethanol blended gasoline in STIHL power equipment engines.

• Make sure the carburetor is adjusted properly for the fuel that is being used. Oxygenated gasoline and gasoline containing ethanol has a tendency to “lean out” the carburetor mixture when compared to non-oxygenated fuels. A slight carburetor adjustment may be needed.

• Use a good quality oil designed for use in air-cooled mix lubricated engines. All STIHL mix oils readily mix with gasoline containing 10% ethanol. STIHL HP Ultra fully synthetic mix oil is especially suitable for use with E10 gasoline.
• Keep your fuel fresh. Only buy enough gasoline that you can easily use up in a two-month time period.

• Shake your gas can well, not only when first mixing the oil, but also every time before you fill up your equipment. This is a good habit to get into and will help keep the oil well dispersed in the fuel.

• Properly store your equipment. If your equipment is not going to be used for 60 days or more, the remaining gasoline that is in the machine should be drained from the tank and properly disposed of. This will ensure that you will not have fuel going stale in the tank and gathering moisture.

• Water or condensation in a fuel storage can or the machine’s fuel tank can cause ethanol to separate from the gasoline/oil mix. If this occurs, the ethanol will settle to the bottom of the tank and will have little or no lubrication mixed with it. Using this separated mixture will cause overheating, engine running problems, piston seizures, or other major engine damage. It is important to keep a fresh mixture and to avoid getting water in the gasoline. If this occurs, the fuel should not be used and properly disposed of. Engine damage caused by water/moisture and separation of ethanol from the fuel/oil mixture is not covered by STIHL’s Limited Warranty Policy.

• Equipment should be checked over periodically by a STIHL dealer. Items such as fuel filters, tank lines, carburetor diaphragms, and spark plugs should be checked and replaced if necessary as part of a normal engine tune-up.

3. Summary
There are quite a few myths surrounding ethanol containing fuels. By following the guidelines previously mentioned, you can use gasoline that contains 10% ethanol in STIHL power equipment.

Gasoline containing higher than 10% ethanol content (e.g. 85% ethanol-E85) cannot be used in STIHL power equipment. Doing so will cause major engine damage and is not covered by STIHL’s Limited Warranty Policy.

>>>>>

Last edited:
Stihl 1995 guidelines

yes, from 1995...

attachment.php

I went out today and bought some 93. I even went to the effort of pumping 2 gallons into my car before filling my jug to clear the hoses in the pump of any residual lower grade. Mixed it with Mobile1 at 40:1 and added stabil. Will changing from 87 to 93 octane require a carb adjustment?

Ian

Thanks for the post, I was wondering about that. I guessed it would be ok - my MX bike (CR250R - 250cc 50hp two stroke) doesn't mind the 10%E fuel (with slightly richer jetting of course).

I have been using the same fuel for the bike and saw - 93 oct with 40:1 Mobile one MX2T with no troubles to date. Let me know if anyone sees a problem with this:greenchainsaw:

Avoid ethanol doped fuel like the plague. If your in a clean air non attainment area try to find a fuel that uses MTBE as a oxygenate. Also many places sell premium that isnt oxygenated. Its never a bad thing to use premium fuel.
BTW If one where to doa search I made the same comment son ethanol about 3 years ago. Stihls pretty slow.:hmm3grin2orange:

Haywire Haywood said:
I went out today and bought some 93.

Ian-
I'm not sure about this but I believe that 93 octane may actually have MORE alcohol in it than 89. After they outlawed MTBE, I believe they used ethanol as one of their main ways of boosting octane. Don't take my word for it, since I'm not sure, but you might want to check it out with someone who does know.

It depends on where you are in the country. Some states still allow MTBE. Some areas have ethanol in all grades of gas. Around here, March though September, some do, but the Cheveron brand doesn't. From the 1st October, we go to "winter gas" and most brand have alcohol at all grades. Great..

Back