EAB Bugs/Look-alikes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are there any other bugs that look similar to the emerald ash borer? Saw a very shiny green bug up by my cabin and fear they have arrived. I tried to catch it but it was too fast.

We’ve had bronze birch borers for years and it wasn’t one of those.

Are there any other bugs that look similar to the emerald ash borer? Saw a very shiny green bug up by my cabin and fear they have arrived. I tried to catch it but it was too fast.

We’ve had bronze birch borers for years and it wasn’t one of those.

EAB is identical to BBB just green. They are fast and tough to catch.

Must have been eab then. I’ve caught and killed birch borers before.

I emailed my forester friend to see if he had any confirmed reports of EAB around here but the email was kicked back so I’m thinking he retired

In my area in the last 5 years I’ve seen one ash tree that was alive that was bigger than 1/2” diameter on the trunk. Those beetles are horrible.

I rarely see them mature, could be I mistake them for another species. I do see all of thr damage they do. It's the damn larvae that do all of it. They're killing all of mine, down to only a handful of young trees that remain. I have a big leaner about 35" at its base, over 100' tall that is over 50% baron in its crown. I have another somewhat smaller nearby that I've noticed considerable crown dieback this year...

I hate those damned things.

We only have black ash up here which normally just grow in swamps. I had a big one behind my sauna building that I took down a couple of years ago to eliminate the risk of it falling on the building.

Back in the woods there is a huge (by black ash standards) tree that is full of small burls that I will cut down once EAB is confirmed.

I check the EAB sites from MN/DNR and U of M periodically but they never seem to update. Either that or the bugs are not spreading. In theory Northern MN does get cold enough to kill the bugs so at this point they are confined to the shore of Lake Superior where it stays warmer.

South MI. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20180523_184545674.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
I was up in the same spot in the woods and had another bug land next to me. Definitely not EAB. Almost more like a lengthened housefly that was green/blue chromed.

Back