Ear Protection ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneLogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Good idea ? What does everyone use ? I use the little ear plugs that u turn with your fingers so they fit in your ears and then they expand back out to block out any noise and they also have the sting in the middle so I can where them around my neck when i'm not cutting.

I wear plugs AND muffs--also use the ones with connecting cord, but I cut the cord off and leave about 1/2 inch on the plug, sort of a little stem to remove them easily. Doesn't tickle the back of my neck that way. Dad is very hard of hearing, I want to protect what I have left. It's getting hard to have a conversation with him. Good on you for wearing them.

I have those combo orange hard hat / ear muffs / face shields. I can flip up the face shield or ear muffs and they follow me around. (Sold at chainsaw shops.)

As for good idea? Well I went to talk to a guy using an air nail gun (very loud) and he was not wearing ear protection. He saw me walk up and stopped working...

I asked him a question from about 5 feet away and he said "What?" (There was no other noise.)
I got closer and asked again. He said "What?"
I finally shouted, then he heard my question!

Anyway that guy apparently made a habit of using loud construction equipment without hearing protection.

I think it is a good idea to wear hearing protection!

Hearing don't come back once you lose it. Not even with hearing aids.

Ear plugs for me.

Muffs are more convenient for quick removal (yanking plugs out can damange your ear drum). But muffs are too damn hot here.

Yup. I finally gave up and went to an audiologist earlier in the week. It was a rather ugly experience. I knew I'd lost some hearing over the years but I wasn't aware of how much. It was a bunch.

A good set of hearing aids, not dime-store junk but digital quality, costs about 2500 bucks. Per ear.

My first clue that I'd lost a lot of hearing was listening to music that I've listened to for years and having it sound weird. I couldn't hear the high notes. I'd been automatically adjusting to the decrease in my hearing for so long that I wasn't really aware of how bad it had become.

So...I won't preach, people will do what they want to do. But if they want to hear their grandchildren singing they might want to think about hearing protection.

I wear Da Plugs that I buy by the box from Bailey's. If I am cutting firewood or helping mill I have a Stihl hardhat with muffs that I wear in addition to plugs. I am going to order the new plugs that attach to the inside of my hardhat. I forget the name but it is something like Zip Plugs or Zipper Plugs.

Good idea ? What does everyone use ? I use the little ear plugs that u turn with your fingers so they fit in your ears and then they expand back out to block out any noise and they also have the sting in the middle so I can where them around my neck when i'm not cutting.

Good idea.....Yes. Mine stay in for the full 7 hours. I don't want to hear any ####. Orange ones
3M makes work well for me, but everyone's ears are different.

Yup. I finally gave up and went to an audiologist earlier in the week. It was a rather ugly experience. I knew I'd lost some hearing over the years but I wasn't aware of how much. It was a bunch.

A good set of hearing aids, not dime-store junk but digital quality, costs about 2500 bucks. Per ear.

My first clue that I'd lost a lot of hearing was listening to music that I've listened to for years and having it sound weird. I couldn't hear the high notes. I'd been automatically adjusting to the decrease in my hearing for so long that I wasn't really aware of how bad it had become.

So...I won't preach, people will do what they want to do. But if they want to hear their grandchildren singing they might want to think about hearing protection.

I was born with hearing loss. Nerve damage in the ear. Can't hear the high stuff or really low stuff.

Good quality hearing aids ain't cheap, I feel your pain. Some days I don't wear them, I like the peace and quiet :hmm3grin2orange:

Check with your Department of Rehabilitative Services and see if they offer any financial assistance.

I wear Da Plugs that I buy by the box from Bailey's. If I am cutting firewood or helping mill I have a Stihl hardhat with muffs that I wear in addition to plugs. I am going to order the new plugs that attach to the inside of my hardhat. I forget the name but it is something like Zip Plugs or Zipper Plugs.

I saw those in The Supply Cache catalog, I think.

I wear ear muffs that come on the Peltor, Stihl or Rockman forestry helmets or I wear the radio muffs when cutting firewood in a yard or something relatively safe.

That said, I find that when heavy equipment is around or I need to hear where my guys are at or something else is going on I like the speed and therefore the "safety" of being able to quickly remove the muff and hear everything and then quickly replace the muff for when the noise starts again, without the time delay of waiting to squish some little foam thing with either my dirty bare hands or my gloved hand.

I worked with a guy that wore foam ear plugs and I always wanted to add up the minutes he spent taking ear plugs in and out, loosing them, finding them, going to get another pair, buying them, unwrapping them, cutting strings, tell me to hold on while he put his plugs in and so forth, in a days time, not to mention the incredible gross-ness of what his foam earplugs looked like after about mid morning, LOL.

To those that wear both plugs and muffs, I just attended a forestry class where two examples were provided of that setup likely causing or contributing to death. In both cases fellow workers were yelling at the guys wearing both to move or run and they could not hear them. One or the other will provide enough protection to prevent hearing loss, without causing you to not hear anything, no need to double up on it.

Sam

I think NIOSH (National Institue of Safety and Health) has some formulas for de-rating the noise-reduction rating of hearing protection equipment. We have talked at work about subtracting 7 then divide by 2 to get the practical limit allowing for poor fit, louder noise, etc. our goal is limit noise to 85 or less dB.

Using plugs and muffs, it doesn't make me stone deaf--I can still hear, and I can even hear voices and other sharp noises better with the plugs in, because they damp out the constant background noise. I don't think I'm any worse off for wearing both. But, my hearing is still good according to our annual tests.

Ear plugs for me.

Muffs are more convenient for quick removal (yanking plugs out can damange your ear drum). But muffs are too damn hot here.

Of ear muffs and drums:

Couple of years ago I took a good hit on the left ear muff - the shock wave broke my ear drum. No big deal, everything just sounded bizarre for a month and the sweat in the left ear made me sometimes a bit dizzy. As the ear drum recovered, after few months, I took a hearing test, required by the insurance company. Well, it appeared both my ears had equal hearing ability. And what was remarkable, the lady who ran the test said, she accidentally took the readings below the hearing range, negative db. The figures showed I have an extra extra sensitive hearing. Ok, my wife found the document of my hearing and totally lost it. She'd thought I damaged my hearing ability running the power tools and shooting all my life, and that's why I'm not able to hear what she says!

To those that wear both plugs and muffs, I just attended a forestry class where two examples were provided of that setup likely causing or contributing to death. In both cases fellow workers were yelling at the guys wearing both to move or run and they could not hear them. One or the other will provide enough protection to prevent hearing loss, without causing you to not hear anything, no need to double up on it.

Sam

I agree with that, Sam.

When I first started cutting, I wore the Peltor thingmaboob. But after a while, I got tired of looking like a space cowboy :hmm3grin2orange:

They are convenient though, like you said, quick removals.

They aren't just for fallers. I suspect my hearing is not so good because I couldn't hear well enough with earplugs in while having to have discussions on the landing. The yarders are noisy. Add the whistle going off and sore ears can result. I tried to talk to folks away from the equipment, but sometimes that can't be done.

One time, they'd stopped yarding, but there was a "discussion" going on about what was correct to blow for raising the skyline. I was waiting to discuss the day's inspection and was standing by the yarder, when one of the guys yellied, "THIS IS RAISE THE SKYLINE" and proceeded to set off the whistle for a demonstration, right there. The other guy disagreed, and his version was played out--repeat. My ears rang for a while after that commotion. I suggested that they might want to make a cheat sheet and paste it in their hardhats, rather than having a whistle fest on the landing. :msp_mad:

When there were a lot of us sitting in the audience at the annual required to attend trainings, and the speaker could not be heard, somebody would yell, USE YOUR LANDING VOICE.

When I started shooting as a young lad the best you could do was toilet paper rolled up and stuffed in your ears. In the Navy on a Destroyer during Nam there was no such thing except for the gunners mates. During GQ I was a first loader on a 3" 50 gun mount. The mount capt ( a GM) wore head phones which offered some protection. When I started falling I was taught you needed to hear what the tree was doing, so no ear protection. I guess I'm really fortunate that I can still hear OK. Now I don't even start up a circular saw without ear plugs .

Back