early 385 pressure/vac testing strange find.... ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickbitintn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
trying to test this saw due to issues holding a tune....

could hear air leakage behind flywheel so i removed it, turned saw on side, sprayed with soapy water and presto!!.... no bubbles .....??

tired (as it was late) , confused (still new to chain saw repair and rebuilding) and in-experienced i'm somewhat baffled.

the air leakage is coming from the three threaded holes where the generator for heated handles would go.

i am in need of some enlightenment. how can this be? local dealer told me there should be bolts in them to block then off, but i see nothing on any ipl, is that right?

could hear air leakage behind flywheel so i removed it, turned saw on side, sprayed with soapy water and presto!!.... no bubbles .....??

tired (as it was late) , confused (still new to chain saw repair and rebuilding) and in-experienced i'm somewhat baffled.

the air leakage is coming from the three threaded holes where the generator for heated handles would go.

i am in need of some enlightenment. how can this be? local dealer told me there should be bolts in them to block then off, but i see nothing on any ipl, is that right?

Sounds like a few case screws may be missing.

Are those holes threaded? I can't remember on that series what that's for.

Yes. Look like about 3mm fine thread.

On IPL shows a stator , generator , charge coil or whatever u want to call it , for carb and handle heaters with three bolts holding it on.

The 'leaking' flow of air is going inside the case ... you're not going to see bubbles.

Run the saw and somehow get some carb cleaner sprayed under there. If the tone of the saw changes, your suspicions are validated. (But I really can't see how this can be accomplished)

If you are 'dead set sure' the air is getting in through those three holes, just get some small cap screws and thread locker in there and you should be good.

I don't remember those holes going all the way into the crank case. It's been 2 years since I split a 390 so I'm trying to go off memory from then. Put screws in there and see what it does.

Those don't go through the case (or shouldn't- they are a blind hole). I'm betting you leak is around the inner race of the clutch side bearing. There is an updated bearing for that side. You will have to split the case to change it.

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't more clear in original post... there were no bubbles from seal area instead the air was coming out of the three holes.

I thought the updated bearing/seal was for the clutch side... ??

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Will try plugging them up in the next day or two and retesting.

P. S. Killiansred.... I'm from Rochester NY. Grew up is East Rochester .

Saw came from Vancouver BC so probably a g model. No tag at all on it.

The 61 husky I have apart has those holes and they do go all the way through... It also has a plastic crankseal retainer plate that uses those holes..View attachment 295750

Believe it or not it has been running strong for a couple years like that....

Didn't notice any problem till I put it on a chain saw mill and it sounded a little funny to me so I tried to tune it and could not.

Has 185 psi cold , machine marks on piston are still visible.
Can't believe it didn't burn up.... something tells me it will be quite rich when sealed up.

Latest posts

Back