ears

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you make your ears?

• inline with the apex

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • slightly under the apex

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • several inches below the apex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never heard of this before today

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • What's an apex?

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Ummmmmmm Yupp, ah had my ap'ex re-moved after it swelled, almost burst.

Conventionally knotched cut ears at apex on open face, with the backcut coming to apex from rear, when i use'em. For in my theory, doing this gives up the most leveraged point of pull on the hinge face to control opposite head lean, or pushes that way through travel to ground.

i believe after an imperfect face, these corners could be largest point of pressure build up against freeflow. Some would say in the running there was the center spar.......; so to speak!

Two reason for placing ears at least one inch, at most four below the apex are:

1: Even may not limit fiber tear, although it should

2: Below will allow full holding wood all the way across, at place where the most strength lies.

This is not always necessary, but no reason not to have the ears, splint cuts, whatever ya wanna call 'em, below.

remember Mad magazine? Well, dad called those "spinnaker ears", sailor, and name caller that he wuz...

I think they pinned my bro's back when he was born, they're almost stuck to his 'ead.

good to know you're not a paper eater.

I've just recently started using ears correctly. I think they serve a purpose to prevent a fairly uncommon event, but aren't too likely to affect the strength of holding wood, as in triangle hinge.

I feel like getting my ears pinned back, as in "I feel the need for speed", or in my current deprived state, I want to strap on the boards and fly through some fresh steep and deep!

See, we've had a couple cold mornings, and a bit of rain, so, screw summer, let it snow!!!!

Rog, what do you use ears precisely for?

This is hard to catch all this working in motion, what is your view of the mechanix here?

What does Mr. Dent think of the 'tilted triangel' hinge? i've played with it a few times, abd see a ball that just barely makes it up over a hill, then comes down all of the sudden. Don't want to think of what happens if you program it wrong, and it doesn't make it up the hill; but the suddenness of release, can give maximized power to utilize, though; i try to werk the minimize force part of the bandwidth. Which i think there are more uses for, particularily in municipal trees.

Enquiring minds need to know!

P.S. Thanx Nick for the new, clean avatar!

Ears HuH?

I always put them in line with apex..use them mostly on pines and wattles (Acacia sp) esp when sectioning wattles they have a nasty habit of bark tear down.
In line with apex cause....easier to site...neater cut ..but mostly cause thats what I was taught.
Ps we call them wing cuts.

Latest posts

Back