Easiest way to remove bark from green rounds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rygar

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got some Tulip Poplar delivered to my house for free. Its all cut into rounds, now its time to split (once my splitter is fixed). Problem is that the bark has poison ivy and im looking to avoid any future incidents with it.

wanted to remove the bark during splitting or before splitting. what are the best methods?

First of all remove the ivy and throw it away (do not burn it!). Long sleeves and rubber gloves are a must. Use an axe (never a chainsaw) to cut the ivy away and wipe the cutting edge with alcohol or gasoline when you a done.

Once the ivy is gone I would use the bottom tip of the saw (pulling the saw towards you) to cut a slit into the bark all the way down the log.

if you can let it sit for a few months Tulip Poplar bark will start falling off.
i can probably wait until spring for this wood. i have about 4-5 cords CSS for next year already seasoning. the poplar can be split stacked in april and still be ready for the winter.

still got a bunch of oak to split before i get to the poplar. some of the vines are pretty thick and in the bark. not sure if thats actually poison ivy though.

Get us a pic of the vine. A lot of people confuse PI with winter and Virginia creeper around here. Sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad. o_O

I got some Tulip Poplar delivered to my house for free. Its all cut into rounds, now its time to split (once my splitter is fixed). Problem is that the bark has poison ivy and im looking to avoid any future incidents with it.

wanted to remove the bark during splitting or before splitting. what are the best methods?

The usual tool for green bark removal is a 'peeling spud', Cross wise blade on a long handle.

google "Bark peeling spud" will bring up many different sites, styles, u-tubes.

I once took on the job of clearcutting a couple acres where a fire had killed all the trees. I used a butcher's aprong and a drawknife to peel the burned bark. Not as bad as that sounds, the job went fairly fast as the fire tends to loosen the bark.

Harry K

alright gentlemen, here are pictures as promised.
20151102_165004_resized.jpg

20151102_165015_resized.jpg

this one i know for sure as poison ivy
20151102_165031_resized.jpg

You are lucky to not have gotten any ivy purée on you from cutting it with the saw!
oh my right arm got pretty jacked up. luckily i wiped down the entire saw with rubbing alcohol a few times over. the arm looks like a burn scar

Back