Ebay Chainsaw Buyers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredd

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After seeing what some of the beaten saws sell for on Ebay, I see a business opportunity for selling used vehicles to these gullable buyers. Here's my first planned listing.

1997 Mazda MPV "Buy It Now" $18,000

Great Compression, low milage (trust me), starts, idols and accelerates as it should. Dings, dents and scratches from normal use. Faded paint and damage on rear quarter panel, but does not affect the performance in any way. Low reserve of $15,000.

Chose “Buy It Now” and receive a new Stihl MS 460 or Husqvarna 372XP Chainsaw.

Please provide comment on whether this is a worthwhile opportunity.

i agree its a gas to watch ebay saw auctions. theres an old saying in the old country . somethings worth is exactly what some one is willing to pay . simply meaning hey if ya wanna pay alot for it , more power to ya . from a buisness sellers stand point . i think it has alot to do with peoples egos getting caught up in the bid . ive always said it can be a great place to sell a saw , but not always buy one.

After seeing what some of the beaten saws sell for on Ebay, I see a business opportunity for selling used vehicles to these gullable buyers. Here's my first planned listing.

1997 Mazda MPV "Buy It Now" $18,000

Great Compression, low milage (trust me), starts, idols and accelerates as it should. Dings, dents and scratches from normal use. Faded paint and damage on rear quarter panel, but does not affect the performance in any way. Low reserve of $15,000.

Chose “Buy It Now” and receive a new Stihl MS 460 or Husqvarna 372XP Chainsaw.

Please provide comment on whether this is a worthwhile opportunity.
I never sold a saw on ebay that I did not describe as honest as I could.

Nor have I been asked to take one back, but I cannot say the same about my buying experiences.

And even face to face deals with a damn crook here in Dallas.
You know what I enjoy ? For the slimy SOB to call back later to see if he can make another deal.:greenchainsaw:

The above parity was not meant to suggest all Ebay sellers are disonest. On the contrary, most are very honest. Just poking some fun at an obvious demand for used equipment, unlike any other product I know of.

Problem is that many of the pro saws listed on Ebay have been passed from hand-to-hand many times, and the history becomes distorted. Don't believe my, just take a sampling of pro saws and enquire on the history.

the prices might be similar, but at least on the trading post you are, for the most part, dealing with people that know saws, and, for the most part, are pretty up front about the problems with the items they list. i have read of very few trades going bad between members.
i would be hesitant to buy from someone who has only been a member for a few days and is trying to move some goods. but if you buy from an established member, you can research their previous post to get an idea of their thinking and their veracity. i think you can also be assured that someone that has been here for several years is not going to hoodwink someone for a few dollars and then disappear: it's just not worth it. i think most of us consider ourselves a band of brothers, (with the occasional sister thrown in for balance) not exactly all-for-one and one-for-all, but close.

The above parity was not meant to suggest all Ebay sellers are disonest. On the contrary, most are very honest. Just poking some fun at an obvious demand for used equipment, unlike any other product I know of.

Problem is that many of the pro saws listed on Ebay have been passed from hand-to-hand many times, and the history becomes distorted. Don't believe my, just take a sampling of pro saws and enquire on the history.
I meant no insult, just pointing out I have had as many bad deals face to face as on ebay.
The only payback I got was when one came back & wanted to do me again. You know that was one time I tried to help a young man just getting started in the tree business.
But I guess he failed to see what I was doing.

I see this come up from time to time about the pricing on eBay. If there is a better deal on the trading post on this forum I've yet to see it.
I don't buy here but I have noticed some good deals on the trader.
For what it was, the price was way better then ebay.

E-bay deals

I've gotten burned on e-bay a couple of times, but never over a saw. I got one saw that didn't run as advertised and the seller went out of his way to make it right by taking the saw back and paying postage both ways.

I won't bid unless I contact the seller and get what history they have on the saw. So far it appears that most of the folks have been pretty straight on telling what they know about saws. Quite a few divorcees getting rid of the ex's favorite tools.

I've also bought from arborisite members without a hitch.

Maybe it's just me, but I like to get on e-bay Sunday evening when a lot of the saws come due and watch the crazy bidding wars.

I've gotten burned on e-bay a couple of times, but never over a saw. I got one saw that didn't run as advertised and the seller went out of his way to make it right by taking the saw back and paying postage both ways.

I won't bid unless I contact the seller and get what history they have on the saw. So far it appears that most of the folks have been pretty straight on telling what they know about saws. Quite a few divorcees getting rid of the ex's favorite tools.

I've also bought from arborisite members without a hitch.

Maybe it's just me, but I like to get on e-bay Sunday evening when a lot of the saws come due and watch the crazy bidding wars.
When I was selling on ebay, I tried to not let any thing end on weekends.

Its the bidding wars where you generally get burnt. It amuses me when the say`snap up a bargain 0.99 start off`. Its only a bargain if nobody else bids or knows the approximate value.
I`ve had three good saws off the bay and been burnt on one. The good ones have been `buy it now` folks just clearing inherited gear or whatever.You get a feel for the deals after a bit of time looking. The one i got burnt on was the first and to tbh the clues were there but i didnt see them. Rebuilt it though.

I have bought a few saws on Ebay, and yes i have probably paid too much but at least i got what i wanted. Besides, no one here is into saws like some of us are so i have to go on ebay, until i found the for sale portion of this site!

ebay

lots o parts on ebay one saw i see there is one model just parts none running.is there more money in parts or running saw.
i just had seller take me and ebay closed him down told me get out.

My only experience with an Ebay saw was an MS200t I bought last year for a very complex tree removal project at my house. Paid $250 and the seller said he used it around the house a few years and bought it from an older gentlemen on Craigslist.

Turned out it was beaten, but still a strong runner. Took it to the Stihl dealer and a serial no. check revealed it was bought in 2005 by a tree service in Chicago. Spent about $50 in parts to get it running good. Ended up giving it to my neighbor, who was the climber on our self-help project. Irony is that it's still a strong runner and cuts better than my new MS260. Go figure.

Its not only the pro saws that have bidding wars on them. I was watching a few MS 170 and 180 and the like and they were selling for just below what a new goes for around here.

I saw the same saws used selling for allot more than comparable saws were going for used.

I just had a positive e-Bay experience. I bought a reconditioned Husky 455 that turned out to have an oiler problem. I contacted the dealer, and he sent me another powerhead without even waiting for me to return the first one. He even threw in a new chain to cover my cost of shipping the first one back. The new one runs like a spotted ape, AND it oils the chain!
:cheers:

John

Latest posts

Back