Echo 355T Repair Quirk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owner of the 355T picked up the saw today, started, and ran it. He understood what was wrong after he tested all four screws with a small screw wrench, spinning them CC and CCW with ease, He agreed to run it until it was gone and thanked me for being as honest as possible. He thinks that one of his operators overtightened and stripped the threads but he has no idea when or why it happened. He also agreed that eventually when this saw was no longer usable that I could add it to my boneyard for salvageable parts. I charged him nothing because I could likely use those parts to repair other 355T saws that he has.

Thanks again to all those who contributed to this thread. Two thumbs up!

Update! The owner brought the saw back after his operator used a cold chisel and hammer to break apart and remove the starter cover. He somehow lost two of the mounting screws and their stripped inserts like the ones that Chevboy0167 showed us in post #7. Then he said, "Do what you have to do to repair it." I can save the starter cove.

So I ordered exactly what ChevBoy0167 posted with new M8 screws, and I will try his solution to salvage this old and badly worn Echo 355T. It also needs a few other parts as well (tank vent is missing, starter pawls are worn out, etc.).

Wish me luck, and if successful, I will post a Pic of the rebuilt saw, saved from the boneyard.

Update! The owner brought the saw back after his operator used a cold chisel and hammer to break apart and remove the starter cover. He somehow lost two of the mounting screws and their stripped inserts like the ones that Chevyboy0167 showed us in post #7. Then he said, "Do what you have to do to repair it." I can save the starter cove.

So I ordered exactly what ChevyBoy0167 posted with new M8 screws, and I will try his solution to salvage this old and badly worn Echo 355T. It also needs a few other parts as well (tank vent is missing, starter pawls are worn out, etc.).

Wish me luck, and if successful, I will post a Pic of the rebuilt saw, saved from the boneyard.
Well, now you won’t have a parts stash for later 🤣

Nice. I do strongly suggest to let whatever adhesive you use, cure for 2 days or more before reassembly. A tiny bit of anti seize on the new bolts never hurts.... 2 dissimilar metals. This may be the only last chance that case will get!
I believe your post #7 lists M5 x 8 mm. I believe the correct part is actually M4 x 8 mm. Please correct me if I am wrong. The screws on this saw are M4 and an M5 will not go through the outer cover. Thanks.

Doc.... the link to the inserts I posted was for reference only. I do not know the specific size of the inserts you would need for that chassis. But the size you need should be available non the less.

They are also used in 3D printing projects. Using a soldering iron to melt them into the plastic bosses.

Back