echo 520

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakthebear

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an echo 520 I have had it for 6 mo or so. I am not interested in a debate about echo being better or worse than stihl or whatever. I use it to fell and buck 18 to 25' diameter logs and use it to block out for carving. Ever since I bought it I have been disappointed in the performance. I had it back at the dealer several times and after I broke it in it is better but still will not go through a log without bogging down and quite often stopping. I am using a 20" bar and the woodsman pro professional chain. I have done a little work on small engines. Even had a job recently repairing and maintaining small engines at a rental yard so I feel I can tune it up alright but I just can't seem to find the right amount on the high speed side. I don't have a tach but I tend to favor the rich side of things I don't want burn anything up but when I lean it up it stalls worse anyway. I am asking how I can make this thing better. I am tired of being embarrassed by my friends husky 455 rancher. Any pointers would be appreciated. I live in Utah at about 4000 feet so I am not sure if that has a bearing on it or not. After two emails the echo customer service people quit responding.

Well I don't know about where you live, but I'd never use a echo 520 to buck and fell 18 to 25' diameter trees, those are just to large. I Imagine that it takes weeks just to do one tree.. I'd get something like a 3120 with an 8' bar just to begin to attempt to do 18 to 25' diameter trees..

Sorry: I meant 18 to 25" it is late and I caught the mistake once and corrected it to the same mistake. They don't come as big as 18' around here and if they did they would be illegal to cut.

You friends 455 is going to embarrass your 520.

That is why people choose Stihl and Husky over Echo.

I am sure that some will argue this point but the safe money is on the 455.

In terms of tuning your saw find someone local(dealer of any brand) and have them show you. Tuning your saw is not hunt and peck, it is in tune or not and on the 520 it needs to be right on spot.

Tuned correctly and sharp chains will make the experience more enjoyable but still will not make it a 455.

I have an Echo CS-510. Have been using it for about 4 years. About 6 months ago I decided to muffler mod it. It was OK on power before the muffler mod, but not nearly as quick or powerful as my Husqvarna 55.

I was amazed at how restrictive the muffler was on the CS-510. It IMMEDIATELY responded with a lot more power in the cut and is a LOT happier at high rpm's.

Shortly after muffler modding the 510, I did some timed cuts between our Shindaiwa 488, Husqvarna 55 and the CS-510.

The 55 and 510 were exactly the same, the 488 was the slowest of the three.

Before modding the muffler, the CS-510 wouldn't have even been close.

Even with all that said, for 18" and larger material, you need to step up to a larger saw, 50cc saws are just not in their comfort zone with 18 and 20" bars. They are best suited for material up to apprx 16-18", for bigger work, get a bigger saw....IMHO.....Cliff

I have an Echo CS-510. Have been using it for about 4 years. About 6 months ago I decided to muffler mod it. It was OK on power before the muffler mod, but not nearly as quick or powerful as my Husqvarna 55.

I was amazed at how restrictive the muffler was on the CS-510. It IMMEDIATELY responded with a lot more power in the cut and is a LOT happier at high rpm's.

Shortly after muffler modding the 510, I did some timed cuts between our Shindaiwa 488, Husqvarna 55 and the CS-510.

The 55 and 510 were exactly the same, the 488 was the slowest of the three.

Before modding the muffler, the CS-510 wouldn't have even been close.

Even with all that said, for 18" and larger material, you need to step up to a larger saw, 50cc saws are just not in their comfort zone with 18 and 20" bars. They are best suited for material up to apprx 16-18", for bigger work, get a bigger saw....IMHO.....Cliff

And don't forget to mention that your Husky 55 is modded also and a few cc's bigger. Steve

You probably have a catalytic in your muffler. Very restrictive setup ! You should try opening up the exhaust deflector on the muffler first, then remove the spark screen if you can. Removing the limiter caps on the carb is your next option. I would start with the deflector first. If done right the 520 can be a nasty saw that will out cut your buddies saws !:cheers:

Correct, I've got the Husqvarna 55 model with the closed port jug, so it's pretty stout right to start with.

I didn't port it when it was apart for rebuilding, but did some minor clean-up in the runners/ports, so you could call it "modded".....Cliff

Correct, I've got the Husqvarna 55 model with the closed port jug, so it's pretty stout right to start with.

I didn't port it when it was apart for rebuilding, but did some minor clean-up in the runners/ports, so you could call it "modded".....Cliff

Cliff I was just going by your older post when you called your 55 modded. Steve

Also ..... Mind the gas you are using ! Mid-grade minimum (89 octane). I run 91-94 octane in my saws and it makes a difference. I also tune my saw to the gas I am running and always buy it at the same place if I can. Always fresh gas as well. Oil can have an effect as well.

Steve, it's pretty much "stock", very minor muffler mod, opening up the stock exit slightly, and cleaning up the ports in the jug while it was apart for rebuilding.

I really didn't even "rebuild" it, as it was an E-Bay find with a tiny amount of aluminum smeared over the ring. Cleaned up the ring, ring groove in the piston, and took a peice of fine autobody sandpaper to the jug.

One of the best running saws in my line-up, PLENTY of power for the size of the saw.

I was amazed that the modded Echo CS-510 could even come close in cutting performance, let alone match it's performance in timed cuts!.....Cliff

The octane thing has less relevance at high altitudes, as the N/A engine isn't getting as much good air do to the DA, but it still helps to use good quality fuel these days, with higher octane ratings as the stuff deteriorates if stored for very long.....Cliff

Thanks for all the input. I am going to get new mix this morning but I always use high octane. I have already removed the limiter caps and it has a brand new air filter. I know I need a bigger saw but like so many people I have been messed up by the economy. I got laid off and have had to take jobs that don't pay much. I had a job lined up at the echo dealer but because of problems I had with a 306 the relationship with them was strained for a while but since he couldn't ever get it running he kind of changed his tune. I think the 520 is tuned about as good as it will go until I mod it some but I was looking for some more input. Thanks you guys. Jack

Steve, it's pretty much "stock", very minor muffler mod, opening up the stock exit slightly, and cleaning up the ports in the jug while it was apart for rebuilding.

I really didn't even "rebuild" it, as it was an E-Bay find with a tiny amount of aluminum smeared over the ring. Cleaned up the ring, ring groove in the piston, and took a peice of fine autobody sandpaper to the jug.

One of the best running saws in my line-up, PLENTY of power for the size of the saw.

I was amazed that the modded Echo CS-510 could even come close in cutting performance, let alone match it's performance in timed cuts!.....Cliff

Cliff. Your closed port 55 should be one of Huskys better saws so the CS 510 is in pretty good company there. I have a Rancher 55 with the open ports that was quite a bit slower than my 510 before I muffler modded it, now it's not even close. Steve

I just got back from cutting all morning. I ran the 435 Husqvarna till it was out of fuel, then grabbed the CS-510. I took down half a dozen good size trees with it, Maple and Cherry, approximately 16-18" across, then buzzed a couple of them up. We loaded the trailer till the rims were just about on the ground and came home.

The muffler modded CS-510 is very impressive, and ours has a LOT of time on it, having been in continuous service since 2005. I don't make too many outings without it, now that I'm 50 years old, preferring lighter and faster saws for most of the cutting that we do.

You will notice I have grabbed up a CS-370 and CS-400 to add to the line-up. They are holding up fine so far, but the CS-510 is light years ahead of them in power and speed, and not that much more in weight. You simply reach a point with these smaller saws where going below apprx 10 lbs and dropping below 50cc just doesn't offer much. Sure, the little 435 cuts very fast for 41cc, around 9 lbs, but the CS-510 and Husqvarna 55 make more power at every rpm without much added weight.....Cliff

I just got back from cutting all morning. I ran the 435 Husqvarna till it was out of fuel, then grabbed the CS-510. I took down half a dozen good size trees with it, Maple and Cherry, approximately 16-18" across, then buzzed a couple of them up. We loaded the trailer till the rims were just about on the ground and came home.

The muffler modded CS-510 is very impressive, and ours has a LOT of time on it, having been in continuous service since 2005. I don't make too many outings without it, now that I'm 50 years old, preferring lighter and faster saws for most of the cutting that we do.

You will notice I have grabbed up a CS-370 and CS-400 to add to the line-up. They are holding up fine so far, but the CS-510 is light years ahead of them in power and speed, and not that much more in weight. You simply reach a point with these smaller saws where going below apprx 10 lbs and dropping below 50cc just doesn't offer much. Sure, the little 435 cuts very fast for 41cc, around 9 lbs, but the CS-510 and Husqvarna 55 make more power at every rpm without much added weight.....Cliff

Same here, I use the 50cc saws the most by far, they don't wiegh much more than 35 to 45cc saw and cut quite a bit faster and wieght a lot less than 70cc saws and aren't much slower in wood under 16" or so. Seems like I can run my 510 all day and it doesn't feel heavy, pick up my CS6700 or 044 and after a hour it feels like it wieghts 50# as I'm in the 50 ++ club also. I just picked up a CS370 that won't get used much, the results of CAD I think. Steve

Thanks for all the input here guys. I put the fresh mix in ( the other wasn't old but just a little too much oil in it so I started fresh and leaned it just a little and put a new chain on and after what was said I eased up a little and it made a lot of difference it kept up with the 455 great so I can really enjoy the saw now .

All the advice you received is very good and you should apply most if not all of it(muffler mod good idea but will void warranty). Like said before 18'' to 25'' is big for a 50cc saw so if that is most of your cutting you might be better off with a bigger saw (60+ cc). If it is occasional maybe try a narrow kerf 20'' bar and chain for these cuts and Use a 16'' full chisel for most of your cutting which i think suits a 50cc saw best.

Same here, I use the 50cc saws the most by far, they don't wiegh much more than 35 to 45cc saw and cut quite a bit faster and wieght a lot less than 70cc saws and aren't much slower in wood under 16" or so. Seems like I can run my 510 all day and it doesn't feel heavy, pick up my CS6700 or 044 and after a hour it feels like it wieghts 50# as I'm in the 50 ++ club also. I just picked up a CS370 that won't get used much, the results of CAD I think. Steve
I hear ya. Now that Ive got a 16" bar for my CS-520 I dont even use my Stihl 021 anymore.
The 520 is so much faster, especially with the 16" bar and isnt all that much heavier than the 021.

Back