Echo 590 24" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I plan on picking up a 24" bar for my ported 590. Was wondering if its worth getting a light weight bar at that size or if there's not much difference at that size. I like the look of the Sugi light weight bars and from reading on here they seem to be very good bars so was leaning that direction. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Sugihara bars are very high quality. At 24" on a 60cc saw, I think a lightweight bar will make a welcome difference in the balance department. The sugis, however aren't that light. They're a little lighter than a regular RSN bar. The tsumara bars are noticeably lighter, and also high quality.

I'd even consider a laminate bar to save weight, therw are some interesting new products available. For me personally I would never run a 24" b/c on a 60cc saw. The Sugi/Tsumura light bars are still quite heavy and IMO are not worth the extra $$ they command compared to the solid RSN bars. I'd put a 20" light or laminate bar on that saw.

Sugihara bars are very high quality. At 24" on a 60cc saw, I think a lightweight bar will make a welcome difference in the balance department. The sugis, however aren't that light. They're a little lighter than a regular RSN bar. The tsumara bars are noticeably lighter, and also high quality.
Is there a dealer on AS for the tsumara bars?

I'd even consider a laminate bar to save weight, therw are some interesting new products available. For me personally I would never run a 24" b/c on a 60cc saw. The Sugi/Tsumura light bars are still quite heavy and IMO are not worth the extra $$ they command compared to the solid RSN bars. I'd put a 20" light or laminate bar on that saw.
I understand a lot of folks on here think a 24" bar should be on a 70cc saw but for the few times I would use it I think a ported 60 would pull it no problem. The factory 20" bar hasn't given me any problems so I'll run it till it wares out.

I understand a lot of folks on here think a 24" bar should be on a 70cc saw but for the few times I would use it I think a ported 60 would pull it no problem. The factory 20" bar hasn't given me any problems so I'll run it till it wares out.

There are. I forget his username, but he's the only distributor in Canada. He sells on eBay too. He's got some saws in the trading post, like new in box 3120s and other big saws. The tsumara info is in his sig line.

Also I don't think your saw will have a problem pulling a 24 incher. I'd run full skip though. My saw pulled a 20 with authority and I was leaning on it hard! And mine wasn't ported

After seeing BGE541 pulling full comp 27 with a stock 620 I don't think skip is needed.

Agreed. But I like the speed of skip on my 372 with a 24 and I run skip on a 16" 346= laser beam. 1/3 less teeth makes for faster sharpening and I'm lazy as of late lol.

I'm also cutting soft wood mostly where if I remember correctly you cut the opposite right?

Agreed. But I like the speed of skip on my 372 with a 24 and I run skip on a 16" 346= laser beam. 1/3 less teeth makes for faster sharpening and I'm lazy as of late lol.

I'm also cutting soft wood mostly where if I remember correctly you cut the opposite right?
I'm mostly cutting oak ash and maple with some black locust if I can get to it before someone else does. I'll have to try different chains and see what works best.

I'm mostly cutting oak ash and maple with some black locust if I can get to it before someone else does. I'll have to try different chains and see what works best.

Lucky! That's some good wood. I cut pine spruce juniper ceder and some scrub oak. Occasionally I'll get a mulberry. Or some **** wood like sycamore.

Lucky! That's some good wood. I cut pine spruce juniper ceder and some scrub oak. Occasionally I'll get a mulberry. Or some **** wood like sycamore.
I cut up a monster mulberry in early 2016 maid good fire wood. There's some pics in the 620pw thread. Pine would be left to rot where it fell around here.

the common size for loggers and tree service is 20" on 90cc saw. firewood guys will throw a 20" on anything 40cc and above, even have a few running 28" on 60cc.

I see people running a 25 inch bar on an 026, MS-260, MS261 all the time and that is a 50 cc saw. Why wouldn't a PORTED 590 handle a 24 inch bar?

I see people running a 25 inch bar on an 026, MS-260, MS261 all the time and that is a 50 cc saw. Why wouldn't a PORTED 590 handle a 24 inch bar?
just because people do it doesnt mean its right. 026/260 are decent 16/18" .325 saws....261 is a good 18" .325 or 16" 3/8 saw.

590 in stock form works best with an 18" 3/8. ported it should handle a 24 fairly well.

Latest posts

Back