Echo 60s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3 Driver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Kind of inherited one of these. Anything know anything about them. I'm kinda a Stihl man.

57f0a8e46c3d83a5714fcbb08024fe2f.jpg

47820f21c2e2fc5ca3b8c2344af7e394.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those things are awesome. Echo's first model in the U.S. I believe.

No, wait. I'm wrong. They're junk. You need to send it to me, I'll dispose of it properly.

here's one that i bought last year from a guy who goes to storage auctions. it appears to have zero hours. i don't know what to do with it.

echo)60s_0552-sm.JPG

starboard_N0553-sm.JPG

chain new and sharp, bar a new oregon with echo paint
bar_chain_N0566-sm.JPG

here's the fuel cap with integrated filter
fuel_filter_N0550-sm.JPG

So got it running today. Wow does this thing have the power. How often should one use the oiler pump. Or how do you know when to pump it. I'm used to auto oilers.

So got it running today. Wow does this thing have the power. How often should one use the oiler pump. Or how do you know when to pump it. I'm used to auto oilers.

it's got an auto oiler too, so presumably the manual oiler is for longer bars, or perhaps, harder or bigger wood. just keep an eye on it, see if the chain is getting hot or dry. in big wood, administer a few squirts when you're in the fattest part. in pinners you shouldn't need the manual oiler. the "power" you're feeling is the old school broad power band and the torque at lower rpms. we lost that in the late 80's when saws had to make 12,500 rpm but only had elusive power in a narrow band.

by the way, i love your avatar, learned to fly and navigate by beacons in a j3.

Yeah me too. Someday I will own a cub. Nothing quite a soul reviving as a cub in the summer with the door open.

Thanks for the info on the oiler. I appreciate it. Gonna try it out tomorrow.

I know what to do with that saw that includes a slow break inn and and use the crap out of it for fire wood

i don't often use a 60cc class saw. i jump from my 36cc top handle to a 70cc husky or an 80cc makita. i'm impatient. my firewood partner and i pride ourselves on being able to load two trucks before lunch. so that cherry echo lives in one of those plastic cases that always finds a way into my shop.

i don't often use a 60cc class saw. i jump from my 36cc top handle to a 70cc husky or an 80cc makita. i'm impatient. my firewood partner and i pride ourselves on being able to load two trucks before lunch. so that cherry echo lives in one of those plastic cases that always finds a way into my shop.
What top handle do you have?

stihl 020t
echo 360t x2
husqvarna 380t

my favorites for most work are the echos. the stihl is good too. the husky has ergonomic design defects but i use it when i need a 16" bar up in a tree.
Had the 340 t just sold it for 150. May get a 341 soon too.1431870198475.jpg I have the 360t and i found the way to make to top end rom smoother and less tuning. The g force intake is very restrictive so i put hole in the filter cover and have not had to tune it from cold morning to hot afternoon temp change. These holes made a world of difference.

stihl 020t
echo 360t x2
husqvarna 380t

my favorites for most work are the echos. the stihl is good too. the husky has ergonomic design defects but i use it when i need a 16" bar up in a tree.
My 360 will cut through anything i put it to. Dry hard wood. Fresh cut hardwood and of course soft or light wood. It has not been ported no drilling of exhaust canister i gutted the cat and baffle. And took the deflector off and flippy flopped the spacer and still using the screen

My 360 will cut through anything i put it to. Dry hard wood. Fresh cut hardwood and of course soft or light wood. It has not been ported no drilling of exhaust canister i gutted the cat and baffle. And took the deflector off and flippy flopped the spacer and still using the screen

yeah, the 360 has abundant power once properly set up. the reason i keep my husky is mostly bar length. i run the 360's with 12" bars which gives them a great balance and light weight in the tree. the husky is for cottonwoods and other large trees that may have big wood in the canopy.

i see the four holes you drilled. can you give me more info about why you did it and how they improve performance? i've heard it said that there is more potential for improvement on the intake side over the exhaust. that's saying something since the stock muffler/cat is very restricted.

thanks

yeah, the 360 has abundant power once properly set up. the reason i keep my husky is mostly bar length. i run the 360's with 12" bars which gives them a great balance and light weight in the tree. the husky is for cottonwoods and other large trees that may have big wood in the canopy.

i see the four holes you drilled. can you give me more info about why you did it and how they improve performance? i've heard it said that there is more potential for improvement on the intake side over the exhaust. that's saying something since the stock muffler/cat is very restricted.

thanks
Gut the cat out of the exhaust thats a givin. But if you pull the recoil cover off to clean it out youl se very small passage for the g force air system ur primary air inlet into the filter box is a oval shape grommet. Leaving very little room for air to come into the air box.

The air filter adapter also has a venture in it and i sanded it out to be more like a velocity stack. Seems to work very good and strong with a 14inch bar.

The muffler deflector was removed and i flippy flopped the spacer and opened up the spacer hole to allow exhaust to come straight out and give it more screen exposure so i dont need to clean the screen as often at 40.1 mix. Just by taking the deflector off reduced the drag in the exhaust once i did that i had to turn my idle down a half turn so chain would stop spinning

Attachments

• 1431871788432.jpg
    1431871788432.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 1431871859736.jpg
    1431871859736.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 1431872207341.jpg
    1431872207341.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Gut the cat out of the exhaust thats a givin. But if you pull the recoil cover off to clean it out youl se very small passage for the g force air system ur primary air inlet into the filter box is a oval shape grommet. Leaving very little room for air to come into the air box.

The air filter adapter also has a venture in it and i sanded it out to be more like a velocity stack. Seems to work very good and strong with a 14inch bar.

The muffler deflector was removed and i flippy flopped the spacer and opened up the spacer hole to allow exhaust to come straight out and give it more screen exposure so i dont need to clean the screen as often at 40.1 mix. Just by taking the deflector off reduced the drag in the exhaust once i did that i had to turn my idle down a half turn so chain would stop spinning

thanks bikemike-

i've seen similar work on the intake side and pondered attempting it but haven't yet. your muffler and mine got the same treatment including the work around the spark arrestor. i'd like to cut the things open and remove the metal that held the cats but, again, haven't done it yet. i'd have to get a friend with a wire feed welder to finish it up for me. i'm not too motivated because both 360's are running well. i have 14" bars for both but i like the way a 12" feels. i suspect that advancing the timing would yield some gains too. i have an 020t as well, a nice saw but not as robust as the echos.

thanks bikemike-

i've seen similar work on the intake side and pondered attempting it but haven't yet. your muffler and mine got the same treatment including the work around the spark arrestor. i'd like to cut the things open and remove the metal that held the cats but, again, haven't done it yet. i'd have to get a friend with a wire feed welder to finish it up for me. i'm not too motivated because both 360's are running well. i have 14" bars for both but i like the way a 12" feels. i suspect that advancing the timing would yield some gains too. i have an 020t as well, a nice saw but not as robust as the echos.
I didnt cut my can or split it i used a dremel to gut the can

Okay, so I left the insanity on the strato thread and went out to do some weed trimming. after running a tank of mix thru the trimmer my dog sparky and i retired to the shop with a bottle of meditation fluid, india pale ale. while there i took a look at the intake side of an echo 360. there's a bracket that holds the air filter and clamps the carb to the cylinder. problem is, the carb is 15mm diameter at the choke disk. the bracket, which all air has to pass thru has a bore tapering to 13mm. didn't make much sense to me. has to inhibit the venturi in the carb. so i took the plunge and used my die grinder to enlarge the bore of the air cleaner bracket to 14.5mm. bolted everything back up and fired it up. i think i did get better throttle response. tomorrow i'll take off the carb and re-position the h limiter so i can run richer. i've always suspected that the high speed jet could benefit from being drilled out to the next size but have been too timid to try it. i see what you mean about the oblong rubber grommet that also restricts air flow. i need to think about that more. i'd like to find a way to measure pressure in the air filter area reletive to atmospheric pressure. i'll try to get some photos tomorrow, maybe start a new thread.

Okay, so I left the insanity on the strato thread and went out to do some weed trimming. after running a tank of mix thru the trimmer my dog sparky and i retired to the shop with a bottle of meditation fluid, india pale ale. while there i took a look at the intake side of an echo 360. there's a bracket that holds the air filter and clamps the carb to the cylinder. problem is, the carb is 15mm diameter at the choke disk. the bracket, which all air has to pass thru has a bore tapering to 13mm. didn't make much sense to me. has to inhibit the venturi in the carb. so i took the plunge and used my die grinder to enlarge the bore of the air cleaner bracket to 14.5mm. bolted everything back up and fired it up. i think i did get better throttle response. tomorrow i'll take off the carb and re-position the h limiter so i can run richer. i've always suspected that the high speed jet could benefit from being drilled out to the next size but have been too timid to try it. i see what you mean about the oblong rubber grommet that also restricts air flow. i need to think about that more. i'd like to find a way to measure pressure in the air filter area reletive to atmospheric pressure. i'll try to get some photos tomorrow, maybe start a new thread.
You wont find much pressure with the left side of the air box having small holes for tuning. Drill holes through the filter cover being that it is a easy replacement part and pull ur tuning caps off with a fine thread sheet rock screw. Ir needles will not vibe in or out at all. Plus ur high needle can richen up so high that the engine will bog out like choke mode and sputter so dont worry about pulling carb apart. Just remove the catalyst and tuning caps and drill hole on the inner lip of the filter cover and youl be very pleased with ur saw and the lack of tuning it will need between temp changes i wont give my saw up for any 201t or husky

The cat can also help hold carbon and if pieces off it can kick it back into the jug. And also runs hotter. Il post a vid hear one of these days of my 360t in action tuns good cuts good and sounds very nice

Latest posts

Back