Echo CS-271T Muffler Cat Delete

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreNB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've signed up a couple of years ago and have been lurking the site for saw info for a lot longer than that, I figured I should get around to making my first post!
Not a professional by any means but enjoy doing my own yard work and gathering firewood on my property.

My old faithful is an MS 260 with a basic muffler mod and tune. I pretty much do everything with that saw but I also have an MS 461 and Granberg Alaskan mill that I picked up because it's really cool, but it barely sees any use...

Back on topic, I bought an Echo CS-271T a few years ago "for the wife" to use around the yard (again I wanted it because it is cool and a joy to carry when I'm cleaning up my hunting trails or just throwing it in the ATV in case I need it).

Unfortunately it never worked the way I wanted, and with the limiters in the carb no amount of adjustment helped. I've never seen anything so finicky to start and idle, once you got it warmed up it was usable, but never "right".

I put off tinkering with it for a few years as I didn't want to immediately void the warranty until I knew there was nothing majorly wrong with it. This year I got fed up with trying to start it and keep it idling so I figured I'd pop the muffler apart, pull the limiters and re-tune it. It did wonders for my 260 so I thought it would be just as easy.

Much to my shock, when I took the muffler off, there was this big nasty honeycomb inside and no way to open it up without mangling/cutting and probably having to weld it back together. WTF, what genius would stuff a catalytic converter in a chainsaw??

cle060E.jpg

TjzJWpD.jpg

I searched and searched for information online and found only vague suggestions that Echo had a non-cat replacement that would work but nothing concrete and no part numbers could be found.

I ran my saw's serial number in their parts database and it shows the muffler as being P/N: A300001640

When I tried a previous generation of serial numbers it showed a muffler P/N: A300001610

Both "generations" called for the same muffler gaskets P/N: V104001850 and V104001860 so that gave me a lot of confidence that the mufflers were interchangeable.

A check with the local Echo dealer revealed that my "new" muffler was significantly more expensive than the "old" part number, this was enough for me to take a gamble and order P/N: A300001610.

This is indeed the non-catalytic replacement muffler for a CS-271T

D8rrBGh.jpg

A300001610 on the right and A300001640 on the left, not hard to tell that the 1610 is much less restricted.

IfcJJW4.jpg

TedSMRF.jpg

No drama on the install, ordered the two gaskets mentioned above and re-used everything else.

1y7Vehz.jpg

After trimming the tabs off the carb limiters and tuning it for it's newfound breathing ability it had been transformed into a completely different saw! Starts first pull now and will idle indefinitely, light years ahead of where it was with that stupid cat! Way more usable power now too, at all RPM but especially noticeable in the bottom end response.

Great post! I have a 271T with your old muffler, but now it has a loud rattle with the catalytic converter rattling around. Did yours rattle around when you removed it?

Also, how much did you pay for the non-cat muffler (ending in -610) and where did you get it?

Hi there, I guess I don't log in here much... My catalytic muffler never rattled, but there was no way to open it up and remove the cat without destroying it/having to weld it back together.

I ordered the replacement "old style" muffler from my local Echo dealer. It was $40 or $50 Canadian but worth every penny.

Back