Echo CS400 Chain replacement help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roamingdoc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First, I am new to this forum but joined because it seemed to be robust and active.
I bought my first 'gas powered' (vs electric) chainsaw from Home Depot, an Echo CS400. I am somewhat happy with it for around the home use, have cut down a few trees that died, so forth. But noted it appeared to be dull (chain)... bought new, went to install. Seemed simple enough until I went to reassemble (chain was fine, oriented
right, so forth) but the "brake band" fitting over clutch drum seems to be impossible (notes say 'if it doesn't fit over the clutch drum turn screw counter clockwise'...)
Well, no joy. I have a useless chainsaw because the brake band won't go over the clutch drum. Any help appreciated. The price of dynamite precludes me doing what I want. Thanks.

Yes, it was an epiphany that I tried just after posting. What a difference... NOW (sigh), as I had read that turning the
chain tightening screw counterclockwise would 'help' in fitting the band, well it appears that the 'tightening screw'
no longer works as now that it is all together the chain is too loose and the 'screw' isn't helping (in fact it literally
does nothing) so I am wondering how to remedy that issue (buy a new one or...). GREATLY appreciate your heads up.

Yes, it was an epiphany that I tried just after posting. What a difference... NOW (sigh), as I had read that turning the
chain tightening screw counterclockwise would 'help' in fitting the band, well it appears that the 'tightening screw'
no longer works as now that it is all together the chain is too loose and the 'screw' isn't helping (in fact it literally
does nothing) so I am wondering how to remedy that issue (buy a new one or...). GREATLY appreciate your heads up.
First off, do you have the correct length chain as the old one? If so you need to make sure the tensioning screw adjuster is lined up to the hole in the bar. Before tightening the bar nuts completely you need to turn the screw to move the bar forward tightening the chain. You will need to lift up on the bar nose while doing this. Once chain is tight you need to tighten the bar nuts while still holding up the bar nose. Maybe this will help if I've confused you. Good luck.

Correct length? You mean they come in different lengths? NO, JUST Kidding. Yes, my CS400 is the 18" bar version and I double checked that. And the pin and hole are conjoined. I finger tightened the bar and did lift it up while in the upright, flat on bottom, position and all it does is click... I am going to spray the spring with some carb cleaner (the hole is clean but will try again) and WONDER if it is worth unscrewing the little cover and really cleaning would help?
Will watch video.

Dont be turning on the adjuster screws too hard, make sure the bar nuts are loose when adjusting the tension. The tensioner can strip out fairly easy but works good if used right. Steve

Fixed it..
I had to take out the tensioner, basically a small worm drive (see https://tinyurl.com/ck729rck )
and I examined it and noted that the little PIN that sticks up, and is what moves
the bar out to tighten the chain, well, when I had turned the 'tightening screw' counterclockwise in
an earlier effort to align the brake band (mistake) I had moved that pin OFF the thread so it was just
on the smooth end on the left, no traction, wouldn't move to the right at all. So I took the whole
thing out and cleaned it, took a turn and a half ONTO the threads and put it back together, now
it works perfectly. Started and tested... thanks one and all. I also see exactly what you mean about
how easy it might be to do some stripping, small teeth. Now to turbocharge this thing ;^) Many thanks.

Fixed it..
I had to take out the tensioner, basically a small worm drive (see https://tinyurl.com/ck729rck )
and I examined it and noted that the little PIN that sticks up, and is what moves
the bar out to tighten the chain, well, when I had turned the 'tightening screw' counterclockwise in
an earlier effort to align the brake band (mistake) I had moved that pin OFF the thread so it was just
on the smooth end on the left, no traction, wouldn't move to the right at all. So I took the whole
thing out and cleaned it, took a turn and a half ONTO the threads and put it back together, now
it works perfectly. Started and tested... thanks one and all. I also see exactly what you mean about
how easy it might be to do some stripping, small teeth. Now to turbocharge this thing ;^) Many thanks.
Glad you got it figured out. :clap: "Turbcharging this thing":laughing: . You'll regret ever saying that in this forum. Muffler mods, timing advances, porting, square ground chain filing to name some. :surprised3:

I'm old and "Tool Time" was a favorite. Wife hates if I 'suggest' altering things, hahahah... I generally leave well enough alone but I do enjoy taking things apart... well, if I can get 'em together. Thanks

My dad has one of those saws. I used it last year to cut down a small tree or two at his place. It seemed like a pretty good little saw. Plenty of power, light enough, and fairly well-balanced. Take care of it and it should last you for a while.

But now that you have joined,...it won't be long before you get the itch to do some mods, then next thing you know you will be drilling on the muffler

Yes, it seems to be improving. First problem was 'starting'. I quit the gym and just would do 45 minutes of trying to start the thing for my workout :)
But seriously the thing would not start. Then I read that an "almost start" while in choke was the sign, once it 'almost' started then I take the choke
off (second or third pull) and usually within five pulls it starts. I want to pop the carb and look at the diaphragm to be sure. I DO SEE some folks taking
out two little 'red' limiter screws or adjusting them. I AM AT 6,000' and think I can gain some improvements with tuning those, probable no removing but that is the one I want to try due ALTITUDE... my CS400 might have 'altitude sickness'... thanks again.

Latest posts

Back