Echo CS4600

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought an Echo CS4600 chainsaw to repair and am needing to buy a few items. Since some parts go by serial number of saw I started to look for it without success. Anybody here know where the serial number is? I know that some labels are usually on the chain side down at the bottom but this one doesn't have a number there..

Hello,

You are right, the serial number should be where you discribe when it is a CS 4600 build last eighties. I have build a Frankenstein CS 4601 with parts of a CS 4500, a lot of parts are the same.

Here you can see the number tag riveted to the housing. A CS 4600 might be slightly different.
You should find two bores from the rivets when there was a number plate.

Greetings from Holland.

Jos.

Sounds like the lettering probably rubbed off.some of the echos ive seen just have a ink transfer on the plate.
I think anyway.I'm sleep typing right now.

I'm going to assume it was the earlier version unless someone thinks I shouldn't. I think they made them in gray before they changed to the design they're using now. They may have made the red ones later however. I may take it to the local dealer and see what he thinks.

dd9708c5a210b6dc3b7ac2adb9fe5e5d.jpg

Here's where the number is on my cs-4600. It is stamped.

My saw is grey, not sure what years they made grey and/or orange but I think they made both colors of this saw. Not sure the differences. I estimate my saw is early to mid 90s, can't remember what year my dad bought it new. I'm also curious for more info on these, it seems well made, has an aluminum handle and rim sprocket. Mine hasn't seen much use and probably still has the original rim.

dd9708c5a210b6dc3b7ac2adb9fe5e5d.jpg

Here's where the number is on my cs-4600. It is stamped.

My saw is grey, not sure what years they made grey and/or orange but I think they made both colors of this saw. Not sure the differences. I estimate my saw is early to mid 90s, can't remember what year my dad bought it new. I'm also curious for more info on these, it seems well made, has an aluminum handle and rim sprocket. Mine hasn't seen much use and probably still has the original rim.
Thanks for your reply. My saw has the same serial number pad but there's just nothing on it. I've been told that some saws had the serial number painted on instead of stamped so mine might have worn off. I went to the local dealer and he ordered me a part for my saw, I ordered for the earlier version which was red so I'll find out tomorrow if the part fits. The part I ordered is a worm gear for the automatic oiler and I don't know if they are interchangeable or not, they have a different part number.

The CS 4500 had two types of oilpump-plunger and wormgear. The older one had a 16 teeth plunger and a metal worm gear with two outside noses that fit in the clutch drum. The later type was a 10 teeth plunger and a white plastic worm gear. The clutch drum fits with all seven splines in the plastic gear.
When the 4600 came later it shoult already have the newer plastic gear and the 10 teeth plunger.
Both plungers and gears fit in the oilpump assembly.

The newer worm gear

greetings Jos.

Both my 4600s have the plate under the bar stud area. They are stamped with the serial number.
Jos, I note in your signature you have a twin cyl CST 610 EVL. I am envious. I just bought one and its on the brown truck. I cant wait !

Edit: Both mine are orange and I believe the orange/red ones are earlier than the gray. I guess you could tell by the serial number (earlier or later) if it mattered. I need the chain brake assembly for one and they are hard to find.

Hello,

You are right, the serial number should be where you discribe when it is a CS 4600 build last eighties. I have build a Frankenstein CS 4601 with parts of a CS 4500, a lot of parts are the same.

Here you can see the number tag riveted to the housing. A CS 4600 might be slightly different.
You should find two bores from the rivets when there was a number plate.

Greetings from Holland.

Jos.

Yesterday, I put a muffler on a 4600 that came off a CS 5000. It fit fine. There are other parts that will interchange as well. Could help the OP.

My Echo dealer ordered a plastic worm gear for the saw today, said it will be in tomorrow. I asked about the washer that went beside it and he said it was included with the worm gear. I've got some work to do before I install the gear because the pump has got a bunch of grit on it and it and the whole saw need a good cleaning. I cleaned the outside of the saw today but haven't taken the pump out yet.

Both my 4600s have the plate under the bar stud area. They are stamped with the serial number.
Jos, I note in your signature you have a twin cyl CST 610 EVL. I am envious. I just bought one and its on the brown truck. I cant wait !

Edit: Both mine are orange and I believe the orange/red ones are earlier than the gray. I guess you could tell by the serial number (earlier or later) if it mattered. I need the chain brake assembly for one and they are hard to find.

Hope you will not become more envious when i tell that i have six of them. two CST 600 and four CST 610. One of the 610 is brandnew and has never run.
Also found new Tsumura Bars for them with Echo on it.
Looking for a right crankcase half to replace on one 610 because big pieces of magnesium broke out of the front where the spikes are attached.

Five of them, at that time i did not have the sixt.

A few years ago i ordered a chainbrake assembly for the 4500 at the dealer. it was normally available from Echo. At the moment i should have one on spare.
On the 4600 they are a bit different. The brake lever is attached to the chlutch cover.

Greetings Jos.

I cannot believe 1 man owns that many twin cyl Echos. I am sure you realize the $ that is sitting on that bench in the pic. I watched one on flea-bay that was not running go for $800 the other day. Can you imagine what one is worth that has never been run ? They are gorgeous and you have earned a hearty " You Suck" ! I hate to hijack this thread (about the 4600) but those twins are really nice.

I cannot believe 1 man owns that many twin cyl Echos. I am sure you realize the $ that is sitting on that bench in the pic. I watched one on flea-bay that was not running go for $800 the other day. Can you imagine what one is worth that has never been run ? They are gorgeous and you have earned a hearty " You Suck" ! I hate to hijack this thread (about the 4600) but those twins are really nice.
That's okay, I think I got the answer to my question.

That's okay, I think I got the answer to my question.

Jos is in bed now...hope he doesn't get mad because he got a "you suck"

You will like the 4600 when you get it up and running...nice saw. I wish there was some info available about max RPMs on the echos.

Resurrecting an old thread. I have had an Kioritz Echo CS-4600 for several years now down in the basement. I finally took it out and fired it up, the clutch drum rattled wicked and and it didn't oil. I dug into it and noticed it had no oil pump worm gear. The saw's S/N is 016152, and apparently the worm gear for it is discontinued. Apparently it looks like the one in Bonkelaar's picture above. The pump plunger is a 10-tooth. It doesn't appear that the ones for the later models would work, as they don't have that attached plastic cap. Am I right or wrong? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back