Echo CST-610EVL - Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukiespookie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

My Echo cst 610evl which I got from my father in law is under the weather at the moment. After inheriting the saw when the CDI died, I managed to find a new CDI after about a year of looking and finally fired it up again. After taking it to the local outdoor shop to get a service, they had issues when trying to tune it up and service it, saying it was sucking air, with a suspect crankcase gasket gone. The saw has some history and as they are rare I want to keep it (also have a cs-351 to match). Story goes that my father in law recieved the saw as payment for a bad debt (bar tab) at their old pub.

As the cost of the labour to get my local shop to look at it would far outweigh the price of a new one, and with parts as rare as hens teeth I've broken the saw down and discovered that the sad looking pistons may have been the reason for the tuning issues.

As you can see from the pictures, the cylinder heads have some slight marks on them. They aren't significant gouges, however the cyclinders themselves have more significant scoring on them.

So... questions are as follows....

1. What is the best way to rub out the scoring on the "jugs"? I was thinking a small engine cylinder hone...
    http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...ley-Engine-Cylinder-Hone-Small.aspx?pid=12537
  2. Assuming the cylinder heads can be honed out to be "good as new". Does anyone know where to get new cylinders only? How much should I be paying?
  3. I need new gaskets... I doubt that I can get the OEM ones (have been looking online)... can you buy appropriate gasket sheeting and cut to size? If so... where from, what material, what thickness?
image.jpeg image_1.jpeg image_2.jpeg image_3.jpeg image_4.jpeg image_5.jpeg image_6.jpeg image_7.jpeg

Cheers
Luke

Hello Luke,

I should have original base gaskets, crankseals, piston rings, used cylinders and maybe a piston.
I am looking for a right crankcase half to complete one of my saws.
Would like to swap parts instead of selling maybe when you find parts we should try to exchange?

Had also my experiences....

Greetings From Holland

Jos.

Search 610 in the classifieds there is 2 for sale by nstueve. I know that one is a good one…. I sold it to him.

I may have written the wrong word up there! I reckon the cylinders will clean up nicely with the post that nmurph put up. - Cheers for that.

However the pistons aren't as good.... Been trying to find a new piston kit...

Has anyone looked into using an aftermarket piston (36mm) instead? Surely there would be something out there that is compatible...

...something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311071155649?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I may have written the wrong word up there! I reckon the cylinders will clean up nicely with the post that nmurph put up. - Cheers for that.

However the pistons aren't as good.... Been trying to find a new piston kit...

Has anyone looked into using an aftermarket piston (36mm) instead? Surely there would be something out there that is compatible...

...something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311071155649?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Trouble is that piston is intended for an open transfer cylinder, while the piston you need is designed for a closed transfer cylinder. It could be made to work with some machining if all the other fitting parameters are met. Like the crown height above the pin, pin diameter and overall length of the piston.

I do have free access to a machine shop with a 5 axis cnc. I'll be pullling the rest of the saw apart this weekend and take down all the measurements to see if there are any suitable candidates to turn into a open transfer piston.

If all else fails, I am the one mentioned above that has 2 of them. I only have one good ignition coil so the second saw will be a parts saw. All 4 pistons and cylinder were pulling 150+psi from what I recall. So I'd have a spare set of clean pistons and cylinders to sell if you wanted them.

If all else fails, I am the one mentioned above that has 2 of them. I only have one good ignition coil so the second saw will be a parts saw. All 4 pistons and cylinder were pulling 150+psi from what I recall. So I'd have a spare set of clean pistons and cylinders to sell if you wanted them.

Generous offer for a hard to find saw and/or parts.

Generous offer for a hard to find saw and/or parts.
Hi Friend! :)

Thanks Randy, I try, but I didn't say they were going to be dirt cheap either... Shipping to Australia aint cheap either...

I do have free access to a machine shop with a 5 axis cnc. I'll be pullling the rest of the saw apart this weekend and take down all the measurements to see if there are any suitable candidates to turn into a open transfer piston.

If you do choose to make a solid piston into a windowed piston be very careful to leave enough metal around the wrist pin to keep the bridge connecting the pin to the piston . I have quite a few that broke when running, after such machining to open windows on either side of the pin.

Hello Luke,

I should have original base gaskets, crankseals, piston rings, used cylinders and maybe a piston.
I am looking for a right crankcase half to complete one of my saws.
Would like to swap parts instead of selling maybe when you find parts we should try to exchange?

Had also my experiences....

Greetings From Holland

Jos.

If the repair goes south I'll sell it for parts!

Does anyone have any hot tips to remove the clutch boss from the crank shaft? It's a "funny" shape and hard to get a hold of.

Latest posts

Back