Echo HC-201 Cold Start Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leebo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought an Echo HC-201 hedge clipper new in the box on Ebay. This thing will not start cold. I followed the instructions in the manual...primed 4-5 times...I can see mix flowing through the clear tube. Closed the choke for five or six pulls then partial open. Nothing...doesn't even sound like it wants to fire. I pulled the air cleaner cover and shot a tiny bit of ether in the carb; closed the choke and it fired on the first pull and ran fine. After a 30 second or more warm up, it will start on the first pull with choke open. If you let it sit for a couple of hours or overnight, the same thing happens as described above. He's using fresh 89 octane mixed 40-1. The choke on this thing is a little cheesy...just a plastic flap that pivots closed over the carb opening. I thought it may not be fully closing off the opening. Any ideas would be appreciated before a trip to the shop. Once it has started it runs really well.

Thanks,

would have a dealer adjust the carb. it sounds like its too lean and needs to be adjusted a tad to get it to run right.

Sounds like your right, the choke flap isn't closing off all the way. Also may need to adjust the carb slightly richer on the low side as well. Next time you try to start it have a friend pull the cord while you place your thumb over the carb opening where the choke flap is suppose to cover. If it fires right up you know its the choke flap not seating as it should.

Latest posts

Back