Echo question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on another CS4600 and am checking in with you Echo experts about a worm gear for the automatic oiler. I ordered one and assumed it would be plastic which it is not, it's brass and appears a mite too small to fit on the crank and it doesn't seem to mesh into the other gear very far. I assumed I will have to heat the brass gear to expand it. Am I correct about this? The gear part number matches the one on the IPL.

What material was the original worm gear? The bronze worm is a press fit. Echo has a special tool for installation.

I don't know. I bought it from a shop nearby and the worm gear was missing. The owner of the shop didn't know anything about it except that it wouldn't oil. I went ahead and heated it up slightly and pressed it on and it seems okay. Haven't got the saw back together yet, still cleaning up a few things.
The only thing I can figure is that the original worm gear must have been chewed up if it was plastic and they threw it away. Other than that I can't see why it wasn't oiling. I'm cleaning all the oiling system so that won't be the problem.

I'm working on another CS4600 and am checking in with you Echo experts about a worm gear for the automatic oiler. I ordered one and assumed it would be plastic which it is not, it's brass and appears a mite too small to fit on the crank and it doesn't seem to mesh into the other gear very far. I assumed I will have to heat the brass gear to expand it. Am I correct about this? The gear part number matches the one on the IPL.

I've never had to use heat but made a special puller to remove. It would help to heat slightly to remove and reinstall, without a puller, just be sure to install the new one at the same spot on crank--don't remember if it just bottoms out.

Just make sure the gears mesh evenly. Some early saws had a different tooth count (steel worm), and when replacing the worm gear, the pump gear had to be changed as well. But most likely it was a plastic gear.

I've replaced very few of these but as I remember I think I stuck the saw in the freezer to shrink the crank down and then heated the gear with a heat gun.

I went out to the frozen shop and finished the saw today. Started it up and it ran and oiled the bar very well. Sharpened the chain while I was out there. I think it may be a pretty good saw, I'll try it out next time I get some wood to cut that doesn't have that white stuff all over it. Supposed to snow again tonight so doubt I'll be out there. Thank you for your replies..

Back