Efco 152

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends what you paid for it as to whether it was good value or not.
Like I say, I bought mine 2nd hand and have been satisfied with it for the money I paid (€180)
You are not going to get a new pro saw of any flavour for under £400.
If you are looking to pay 400 snots for a new saw look at this link Thats not a bad price for a 346NE
The 152 is not a bad saw,it just has plastic cases.
I can get a 346xp for £425, this was the way i was going to go but got caught up in a price thang don't you know!!
£292 for the Efco, saving a few squid.
I should have known better, classic you only get what you pay for.
The other option was a Makita 4600s, 3.5hp 46cc and a pro saw for £320.
So now it's a toss up between that and the 346xp, will i fall into the same trap:monkey:

You can get a Makita 5000 or 5001 for around £360 or better still, a 6400 for £365
Far better saws at a great prices, imo.
Try these links :

http://www.hobuk.co.uk/acatalog/DCS5000.html
http://www.toolchestdirect.com/petr....html?osCsid=kca8frri81p030ftqqv82cvmckimmr29

Hi Spitz, i had a Makita 6400, bought brand new.
I didn't like the balance even with a 18 inch bar, to nose heavy.
I sold it without even using it, to save loosing money on it.
Luckily i bought it at the right price as a returned order for £300, sold it and got my money back in full luckily:clap:

Last edited:
I can get a 346xp for £425, this was the way i was going to go but got caught up in a price thang don't you know!!
£292 for the Efco, saving a few squid.
I should have known better, classic you only get what you pay for.
The other option was a Makita 4600s, 3.5hp 46cc and a pro saw for £320.
So now it's a toss up between that and the 346xp, will i fall into the same trap:monkey:

I would go with the Husky over the Makita if you are buying new, saying that there is a 100 of a difference.
Pity you can't try the Efco, you might like it, they are not a heavy saw to use with an 18" bar.
I wouldn't call that Makita a pro saw either, its just a smaller jug on a 5000 chassis, same weight less grunt, power doesn't tell the true story, torque is more important IMO.

Hi Spitz, i had a Makita 6400, bought brand new.
I didn't like the balance even with a 18 inch bar, to nose heavy.
I sold it without even using it, to save loosing money on it.
Luckily i bought it as a returned order for £300, sold it and got my money back in full luckily:clap:

I don't think I would be all to proud about that return deal!

Mighty good saw you let pass away for what? The perfect saw that is light has lots of torque and costs nothing brand new! Call me when you find one I'll get the second.

I don't think I would be all to proud about that return deal!

Mighty good saw you let pass away for what? The perfect saw that is light has lots of torque and costs nothing brand new! Call me when you find one I'll get the second.

You've lost me cocker, proud on a return deal!!!.

Not proud at all, just relieved not to have bought what was described as a pro saw. Have you got one?
Get out of the right side of the bed and don't be so grumpy in the mornings.
My cash i can buy what i like, just need constructive info, not cheap snidey comments:givebeer:

You've lost me cocker, proud on a return deal!!!.

Not proud at all, just relieved not to have bought what was described as a pro saw. Have you got one?
Get out of the right side of the bed and don't be so grumpy in the mornings.
My cash i can buy what i like, just need constructive info, not cheap snidey comments:givebeer:

Didn't mean to be offensive. And yes I just worked another 24hr nightshift. I do not own a Makita 6400 but it is considered around here to be the entry level pro "big" saw from Dolmar/Makita(same company only different colours). It is the same crankcase as the 7300&7900, only less cc, which are some of the most highly respected saws in their class around here. (the 4600 is considered to be the entry level "small" pro saw class by Makita/Dolmar)
I do own a Makita/Dolmar 5001(=more or less Dolmar5100 with rev limiter&decomp valve) and am VERY happy with it. Of course there are better saws but that is the typical hick hack we have in every other thread around here. I got it new for 390£=approx. 400€ delivered to my door. Any other pro saw(including the "original" Dolmar) in its class start here in Austria at 700€. My budget wasn't quite up to it.

I donot believe, since I have not read anywhere how much and what you are thinking about cutting, that you truely require a "pro" saw. So as long as you donot describe your true needs I believe you would have been equaly happy with the Efco 152 or any other quality piece. And who cares if it has a "metal" crankcase. One of my favorit saws is the Stihl 180 and its all plastic but I have cut with it way beyond its designed limits! It is still running really strong.
The reason I have a pro saw is quite evident:
1)I am cutting approx. 20 quibic meters (I believe about 215 quibic feet?)/per year for my parents in law. They live 400 kilometers away so I don't go there very often and have to cut&stack all the wood in a short time. They get the sidecut of the trees from the sawmill, 4 meters long wraped into a bundle 1m in diameter.
2)I got it at a price I would have only gotten a Farmer class saw of weaker strength.
3)It cut in my last head on with a 660, that had a non sharp chain and a longer bar on it, almost as fast. That is a totally different saw class we are talking about. So I am really happy it ain't that bad as is often denounced here.

So donot be offended by my words just be real with your needs as well as your "wants" and then deside. But please in future do not denounce a pro grade saw as non pro. And please respect other people ideas other than yours.

again no offense

I respect all people ideas as i am not a pro. It's just if you have the money to buy a pro saw and want one! then why not. Nothing like a touch of class. I can't afford a Mercedes but i can a pro saw.
No offence taken, are you saying the 152 is pro grade?

I hope I didn't blow a sale for Efco. I still don't think its a pro grade saw though.

I wouldn't turn my nose up to it because its plastic. My J-Red 2150 is plastic, and its the one reason I never bought a 346. Its a smokin saw! The other is my 2 Olympyk 945AF's. Like 20 years old and probably 2 of the most reliable saws in my fleet.

Which model do you have Aaron?
Does the 152 have plastic crankcases if not what are they made of?
atb

I have the John Deere flavored 52. It's plastic, and I have run it HARD. It's still going. I'd buy another without hesitation if I needed to replace this one.

I do need a new muffler, though. It's vibrated loose quite a few times, and has cracked at the back and front.

Also, it doesn't oil as well as I'd like.

Here's an idea of the kind of stuff I've used it on:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=66226

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=74150

As you can see, it's pretty big stuff. The JD is my only firewood saw.

I know, I need a bigger saw! But, the JD has kept on going, even though I'm playing out of its league.

I respect all people ideas as i am not a pro. It's just if you have the money to buy a pro saw and want one! then why not. Nothing like a touch of class. I can't afford a Mercedes but i can a pro saw.
No offence taken, are you saying the 152 is pro grade?

You want a pro saw yet you are trying to save £100 by buying an Efco 152 and then #####ing that it is not pro grade and doesn't have mag cases.
You ask how the saw is then when posters say that it is fine and works well in two seperate threads!
Just buy the damn 346xp and stop with the whining about the 152!
Or stick with the 152 and see that it is a good saw and is probably enough for most firewood cutters.
Thats your options.
There is no 5100 available in the EU so unless you buy one and get it posted. it is not an option.

So your choice is pay the extra 100 and get the 346xp or stick with the sub 300 Efco.
OR buy the 56cc or 62cc Efco and get a mag case pro saw.

You want a pro saw yet you are trying to save £100 by buying an Efco 152 and then #####ing that it is not pro grade and doesn't have mag cases.
You ask how the saw is then when posters say that it is fine and works well in two seperate threads!
Just buy the damn 346xp and stop with the whining about the 152!
Or stick with the 152 and see that it is a good saw and is probably enough for most firewood cutters.
Thats your options.
There is no 5100 available in the EU so unless you buy one and get it posted. it is not an option.

So your choice is pay the extra 100 and get the 346xp or stick with the sub 300 Efco.
OR buy the 56cc or 62cc Efco and get a mag case pro saw.

Sorry i asked!!!!

The add said it was a pro saw, on investigation it wasn't. Further help said it had plastic crankcases.

Nothing wrong with saving a few bob.:)

If you don't like the thread don't answer:mad:

mag case smag case--big deal. the main part is mag, the rest is plastic.so what, is there any plastic in your car. any vibration in the cars parts.....plastics have come a along way--and YES, efco is a dang good saw, money notwithstanding--just because you buy a cadillac, for a lot of money, that make it better??--uh uh---stihl is a overpriced saw--period--

152 plastice crankcase??? IT does not people!!

I aint buying a saw with plastic crankcases, that to me is not a pro saw.

I feel a bit hoodwinked:dizzy:

The saw is coming mail order, ordered it Friday late.

Closed today but i have send an email and left a message on the phone to cancel my order, hopefully they will get it in time otherwise i will post it back.

Burger

Ok, its been awhile, but i gotta defend my emaks!! I own the cub 56cc from tsc..yes it has a mag crankcase. I also own the cs5220 ans cs5218 and a real efco 152. these saws are not pro saws or homeowner..they're are in between like the husky 359. The 952/947/152/147 saws no matter what color do NOT have plastic crankcases. They have a magnesieum or aluminum crankcase bolted with 2 bolts to the inside of a plastic oil tank/saw chassis. Its a good engine with 2 rings with genuine gilardoni jug and piston. I run emaks exclusively because they ARE the most underated saw out there because folks just arent educated about them because information just isnt out there like you mainstream saws such as stihl, husky, now dolmar. I swear by them...at least i used to until their new 5 yr warranty they started. Parts prices went up so frikin high it makes more sense to sell the saw for parts on ebay than to fix. go to partstree.com for genuine cub saw parts in yellow. ALL efco parts have almost doubled in price since this new warranty. also efco saw prices have shot way up too. I used to think of these saws as the underdog best saw for the money out there...then it all changed cause of their new warranty. I like cheaper priced parts not a longer warranty period. your protected from defects..yes, but go get parts once your saw is out of warranty. If most of you AS vets out there remember me I was trying like hell to tell you guys about these fine saws...but they were unknown to most. BTW i work for a small tree service...my cub sc5220 has been muff modded and tweeked a little, nothing out of the odinary that we all discuss here on AS. Its been about 3-4 years of commercial mostly everyday use as a groundie saw. its just now starting to show signs of low compression. Ive never had a problem other than the cheap on/off switch. either nikasil is really awsome stuff or mobil mx2t syn really is the best 2cycle oil ever made(r.i.p). I take care of my equipment but these efcos have spoken their quality to me. They ARE just as good quality as your stihl. and huskys. oooh bfore i forget efco got bought/absorbed by electrosux/husky so that explains why the prices jumped...buy your competition, run them into the ground, end your competition...or just strengthen your hold on the euro saw market. ok im done that was 2 cups of coffee's work of typing. they aint plastic crank cases boys thats all i wanted to point out.:cheers:

almost forgot..some 152/952/cub cadet comm 52cc saws....i might be wrong...genuine efcos have magnesium bottom half/crankcase while rebadged saws have aluminum crankcase. all i know is that I have both! the bottom end on my efco 152 is a goldish color and has MAG cast into the very bottom right half of the bottom half. the cubs are silver and look to be made aluminum. I could be wrong. The efco 152 is an older saw when they were olympyk orange. yep fellas these saws are the remenents of the olypmic/olympyk/ saws just had to change the name cause of the olympic committee wanted royalties from the name so they had change it several times. I bet a lot of wasted capitol went into fighting legal battles and the company kinda never took off even though they had a dern good product.

for parts www.partstree.com

Diagram: CS+5220+Chain+Saw Carburetor CUB Cub Cadet Commercial EM-50070011A
CARBURETOR Your price: $234.63

Diagram: CS+5220+Chain+Saw Carburetor CUB Cub Cadet Commercial EM-50010122A
DIAPH./GASKETSET Your price: $90.65
0 of these in your cart..<dang strait and it wont ever be in my cart for that price. www.partstree.com for all cub cadet commercial saw parts. LOL its worth a visit to check the prices for entertainment.

We've used a CS-56 for a year in our wood cutting business, it damn sure is a pro quality saw, it performs just as well as our pro Stihl's. It gets used almost every day, every time we cut it gets fired up. After a years use, no issues,nada, nunca, none....period. Now they are 299.99 with free shipping on Amazon under the cub cadet badge, beat that value, stronger than the Dolmar 5100 and although a pound and a half heavier it stronger than the 346.
Excellent handling saw, very easy on fuel, we can't tell much difference in cutting between it and the 361 in terms of cutting speed, better air filtration than the 361. For the money I'd take it over a 359 husky any day, hell of a lot more saw than the 290 or 310 Stihl. Just my opinion, based on running the pizz out of the thing, we'll sell over 200 cords this year (sept-mar) not just cutting cookies or 8 to 10 cords for the house.

Last edited:
Back