electric sharpener angles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy1941

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought an electric sharpener after using my nephews GRIP sharpener(all plastic). I bought the Northern Industrial sharpener, all metal. I like it very much, but do not understand the angles. I under stand the 60 degree of the wheel, and the 30 degrees of the tooth angle, but what the @#%$ does the 10 degree angle do, or should I worry about it? The grip sharpener is locked straight up on the vice, and the NI will adjust 10 degree tilt to the teeth. I am so confused.

I finally broke down and bought an electric sharpener after using my nephews GRIP sharpener(all plastic). I bought the Northern Industrial sharpener, all metal. I like it very much, but do not understand the angles. I under stand the 60 degree of the wheel, and the 30 degrees of the tooth angle, but what the @#%$ does the 10 degree angle do, or should I worry about it? The grip sharpener is locked straight up on the vice, and the NI will adjust 10 degree tilt to the teeth. I am so confused.

Chains used to be ground with the 10 offset to each side, but not used anymore. All it does is thin the thickness of the gullet and allow less friction with the shearing action of the cutter through the wood. Stick with 90 degree for your gullet floor. For general purpose grinding use these angles 30-60-90 and you will be fine. Real hardwood you can use 35 to not work the cutter so hard which will increase the life of the chain. There are other theories on the angles to grind a chain to, but start with general practice and then start to change angles if you want.:msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back