Electrical Training--not just for clearance guys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance said:
What is your take on steel core fliplines/lanyards?, as long as you observe the proper limits of approach to energized conductors they are ok here. This has come up here as well.
No ropes, lanyards, or harnesses containing conductive or known semi-conductive strands, cores, or stitching of any kind may be used in proximity to primary conductors unless tested and approved guards are in place on the conductors (line guts) and the conductive ropes, cables, straps, and harnesses are electrically isolated by the use of an approved insulating link. This also applies to removal of large vegetation via the use of a crane. Any and all cable, rope or harness that is conductive in nature shall be tagged permanently as such and be stored as to not be accessible to untrained personnel. In my own opinion, it should be banned.

kmoose said:
No ropes, lanyards, or harnesses containing conductive or known semi-conductive strands, cores, or stitching of any kind may be used in proximity to primary conductors unless tested and approved guards are in place on the conductors (line guts) and the conductive ropes, cables, straps, and harnesses are electrically isolated by the use of an approved insulating link. This also applies to removal of large vegetation via the use of a crane. Any and all cable, rope or harness that is conductive in nature shall be tagged permanently as such and be stored as to not be accessible to untrained personnel. In my own opinion, it should be banned.
Moose, what I meant is climbing with a steelcore, say on a 25kv. line, the personal/non insulated limit is 4', the limit for insulated/tested tools is 11/2' (18"). My point is that if you always keep your self, saw, steelcore, rope etc., at least 4' from the line then steelcores (and anything else) are ok.. This came up previously because some here figure that non steelcore ropes are insulated and will not conduct. I figure that anything that doesn't have a valid dielectric test sticker should be presumed conductive, good rule to live by. Must have not explained myself well.

I'm not real familiar with climbing trees recent to energized conductors (personally), but I know alot about climbing stuctures the conductors are on. The real determining factor as I see it is potential for contact. The rule and regulations for climbing and working on energized structures is 4' as you stated (25kv). The over-riding rule is that nothing you are holding, using, or making any contact with, can be outstretched and extend your reach to make contact with the energized line (except with aproved hotline tool). Also you cannot work over an energized line that you could possibly fall into.....no exceptions.

That said, it may not have any play when it comes to trimming and pruning while climbing near energized lines. I would think that it would for the fact that trimming over or near energized lines could pose unusual hazards due to the inconsistant size, weight and awkwardness of the limbs. I probably shouldn't even be posting in this section, other than the fact I saw "electrical training" in the title and I have quite a few years dealing with high voltage powerlines, alas I have no experience climbing trees so my opinions are just that....opinions.

If I had to make a choice in rope to be used around energized lines, they would not be steel core. Incidental contact would almost guarrentee a path to ground. For what is acceptable in the tree climbing world I will leave to you pros.

Latest posts

Back