Elm burl table with new sanding technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garysmith

Reaction score
Hi everyone; Thought I'd share a new sanding technique with you. I worked on this elm burl table for an entire weekend and put together several router fixtures to flatten the top so the hinged tops would close correctly. After a lot of cursing and failing miserably with the router fixtures I gave up and tried something totaly different. I tied the darn table with four legs attached and dragged it upside down behind my truck down the state road. Looked like a dead dog with rigermortis laying back there; legs sticking up toward the big dogbone in the sky. It took only about 1/4 mile to finish the table top to a nice flat surface. I finished off the road rash with 150 grit sandpaper on a DA sander and it turned out nicely if I might say so myself.
I am thinking about asking the state of Va, to put grit numbers alongside route numbers on their road maps for future projects. Can't figure out how to attach a photo yet. I'll have to work on that. Gary

Good Job

Try to get some pic. up.
Years ago I drug a flat piece of steel along a gravel road to remove rust. worked great.

Hi everyone; Thought I'd share a new sanding technique with you. I worked on this elm burl table for an entire weekend and put together several router fixtures to flatten the top so the hinged tops would close correctly. After a lot of cursing and failing miserably with the router fixtures I gave up and tried something totaly different. I tied the darn table with four legs attached and dragged it upside down behind my truck down the state road. Looked like a dead dog with rigermortis laying back there; legs sticking up toward the big dogbone in the sky. It took only about 1/4 mile to finish the table top to a nice flat surface. I finished off the road rash with 150 grit sandpaper on a DA sander and it turned out nicely if I might say so myself.
I am thinking about asking the state of Va, to put grit numbers alongside route numbers on their road maps for future projects. Can't figure out how to attach a photo yet. I'll have to work on that. Gary

HAHA! That's one neat idea! Gotta post some pics.

I guess that's one way to get it done. Seems like you would be sanding all day with 150 grit to get the road rash out.

Now that is funny and also thinking.
Good thing you don't have speed bumps!:hmm3grin2orange:

Back