Elm limb removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
An American Elm I removed a large leader off of over a slate roof. I don't have any before pics but I think you get the idea. I enjoy doing technical jobs like this, plus seeing the finished product makes it self rewarding.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looky what we have here. Any ideas to what this could be?
attachment.php

Shure is a big elm! Big house too.

What are the little holes in the bark? Is the tree getting the DED?

Thanks for posting the pics.

THose holes are actually sap suckers if you look at the 3rd picture you can see holes in a ginko behind the elm. Elm Bark beetles usually bore into branch unions on small diameter branches. It does look that way and if any joe showed up and looked at this tree he'd probably tell the HO it had DED and suggested a removal.

June08_055.jpg

This is what I am doing because I don't have either a GRCS or a Hobbs. Another thing you can do (for smaller limbs) is to set a pulley in the tree for the lowering point, run a rope through that to another pulley on the limb at the tip and then tie the end to the first pulley. I don't have a pic of that set up but have used it before with good results but not for big stuff.

This is what I am doing because I don't have either a GRCS or a Hobbs. Another thing you can do (for smaller limbs) is to set a pulley in the tree for the lowering point, run a rope through that to another pulley on the limb at the tip and then tie the end to the first pulley. I don't have a pic of that set up but have used it before with good results but not for big stuff.

Ben do you think the GRCS is all its cracked up to be?

Well I do have like $2,000 in credit card points in my name. We can talk about maybe investing that in our little shindig.

personally I have only had the need for it maybe once or twice a year but that doesn't mean much in the sense of what the tool is and does.

personally I have only had the need for it maybe once or twice a year but that doesn't mean much in the sense of what the tool is and does.

It seems like it would become the foundation of any rigging job. Very easy to pre-tension compared to a Porty. Very solid for lowering. And endless pulling and lifting applications.

It seems like it would become the foundation of any rigging job. Very easy to pre-tension compared to a Porty. Very solid for lowering. And endless pulling and lifting applications.

If you get one Plas, let me know, I wanna see one in use before I drop the coin.

Ben do you think the GRCS is all its cracked up to be?

I used it all the time at my last job before i started my business. The company didn't own a port-a-wrap so we used the GRCS. It's works great just didn't like carrying the thing around it's so dam heavy. We only used it a half a dozen time a year for its intended use. I find with my business that I would only have a use for it maybe two or three time a year. If your business is puttting out lots of volume then i could see having one. I would certainly use that $2000 for better things then that right now.

June08_055.jpg

I like it tmd, shows the versatility of the port-a-wrap!

this pic is making me dizzy

if it works it works no need to buy a $2000 device if you aren't going to get your moneys worth out of it.

Yo NC,

Kinda way off topic here, but when you were down here I asked you if you ever used SRT. You said you had never done it. Were you pulling my chain or do you really never have a need for it? I'm not busting your balls or anything, I'm just curious how you find a way around it all the time because that's pretty cool if you do. Are you somehow always able to set a DRT from the ground and have both legs of the climb line run down the same path through the branches?

this pic is making me dizzy

if it works it works no need to buy a $2000 device if you aren't going to get your moneys worth out of it.

Yo NC,

Kinda way off topic here, but when you were down here I asked you if you ever used SRT. You said you had never done it. Were you pulling my chain or do you really never have a need for it? I'm not busting your balls or anything, I'm just curious how you find a way around it all the time because that's pretty cool if you do. Are you somehow always able to set a DRT from the ground and have both legs of the climb line run down the same path through the branches?

yes I play with the throw bag and set it up so both ends are running together and either tie in or footlock. Its funny you mentioned that because i actually tried SRT in this elm and I liked it. I SRT footlocked up into the elm and actually like SRT footlocking more then DRT footlocking.

Latest posts

Back