Elm / Sweet gum any good to split / burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoodTick007 said:
I suggest you go by when they are cutting and try splitting a round or two. You might be suprised.

Thats some serious stuff. I went past on my way home from work, and the first 2 swings of my splitting maul just bounced off the 12" round log. Gonna have to get a splitter for this stuff. There are 3, 70-80 foot elm trees for the taking, so that amount might make it worth renting one. I have a closed door stove, so hopefully it will burn well. From what I have read, Elm takes a long time to dry, so I might not be able to use it this year.

Thanks for your comments.

elektrobot said:
I went past on my way home from work, and the first 2 swings of my splitting maul just bounced off the 12" round log.

When splitting wood like Elm alway start splitting at the edge of the log. Once you knock off your first piece it usually gets easier from there...LOL

I don't know about the gum wood.
As for elm, around here we get what they call p$ss elm because of how it smells. Burns OK, but tough to split with hydraulic splitter and almost impossible with a maul. Got some "siberian elm" which split easier but is not dense enough for good long hot burning. If you have access to better wood, ya might leave it behind. (Siberian elm is another "gopher wood").
We free firewood scavengers sometimes have to settle for such stuff, though. More work, but it makes heat. Depends on how desperate you are for firewood.
-
Ever heard of "gopher wood"? Ya throw a stick on the fire and go-fer another because by the the time you return, it needs another...Heheh.

The Flies Love It

I chunked a bunch of this Elm into 16" lengths to split yesterday, and today there is a huge swarm of flies all around the ends of the stuff. I misted the area just in front of the logs with insecticide, but they were back within an hour. I did not want to apply insecticide directly to the logs, because they are going to be burned inside the house. Are flies attracted to all wood when it is just cut, or is this elm just particularly attractive to them? I also noticed the bark on the elm is very thick, and has a 1/4" soft wood backing that peels off with it. Is this thick bark what makes it so slow to dry, or is it the tight wood grain that keeps the moisture in?

Ive burnt some gopher wood, lol. Some elm is punky if it is left too long. But its good for fall or spring. About the flies?? Never seen anything like that. I like to get the dead elms around 6" in diameter, if its cut at the right time, stuff is very hard. I also have heard after an Elm dies, the longer the bark stays on, the more it will rot. So If I see them dead, ill try to remove the bark. Dead Elms are good when you need firewood right away, Go out cut one up throw it in the basement and burn it. But its definitely not the wood of choice. If its free wood its for me. :)

We trash almost all of the Gum we get , when i say trash i give it to a person heating a green house. They can burn almost anything , (short chimney and large fire box). If you realy wanna pull a joke on a friend, have him try and bust some BlackGum by hand.

we must be goofy around here 'cause we love p!$$ elm. or el-em, as the old fellas call it. the more stringy the better. no, we don't split it by hand.

many fall over each winter along the creek bank, we cut 'em loose off the stump, then wait and work 'em up the following year, and burn the season after that. makes for a steady supply.

oh, and our other mainstay is hedge, 'nuff said.

Add me to the list of goofy folks as I burn quite a but of white elm. Best to get small ones that have died from Dutch Elm and stood for a year. If cut in the fall when still dry weather they will burn the same day you cut them. Large dead ones are a PITA to split and large live ones are worse. Frozen is best bet for splitting. NOW, if you are talking Red Elm your talking real firewood, still a PITA to split but worth the effort.

I have burned sweatgum before. But I only use limb wood or trunk wood that is a size suitable for the fireplace because you will not like trying to split it...even with a splitter. Do not try to take down a tree just for firewood. You will find the take down and cleanup a huge amount of work for what you will get out of it.

Back