Elmira 1600 & Catalytic Converters, Who else has One?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensen 32000

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi There: I have an Elmira 1600 insert with the catalytic converters (2). To me, it seems get the job done but seems to go through the wood pretty good, (about 2-3 recycling bin size loads a day), Also the catalytic converters seem to need fairly regular cleaning. I'm wondering if anyone else owns one, and what they think? I have it in the basement of a 1200 sq ft ranch bungalow, and usually don't have to run the furnace too much. My buddy has a Nepolean stove that holds about a 1/3 to a 1/4 of my insert and claims to get tons of heat and 12+ hour burn with good coal bed after. I'm luck to get 6 to maybe 8 hours. Any input appreciated, Sorry for the long post, Thank You, Mike.

Last edited:
Using an Elmira stove version of the same insert. Wish I had my Lakewood cotager back, burnt less wood and threw more heat. Pretty though.......

Does the job but I bet there's better equipment out there. Elmira's out of the stovemaking business now, they just sell other people's stuff, what's that tell you?

Hi guys.I have 3 different wood stoves,one in my shop, and 2 in my house.The one in the basement is a Lakewood cottager witch is one that I personly build when I worked at Lakewood stoves in Bobcaygeon.Its by far the longest burning with more heat out for amount of wood burned.It will take a 2 foot stick for length and will burn for about 12 hours between fillings.The other one is a warhock hershey ever hear of that one I never did but I have it.Glass single door job.It has a cat converter that sits on top of the stove over the flue pipe on the stove.Its called a dorwood and is manufactered in Manitoba Winnepeg I think.When the heat in the stove reachs 500 degrees you slide the coverter over the flue which acts also as a damper.It has 2 air valves on the door to control the air supply.When the stove is working,the heat in the stve is a say 1000 or 1200 f the temp on the pipe is reading about 250 or 300 f.I also have a turnable damper in the pipe above the stove up about 1 1/2 feet.Some times it seem to burn a lot of wood and dont seem to hold a fire very long,maybe 3 to 4 hours but it only take 12'' length wood.And not as big a fire box as the Lakewood.The converter I clean about once a week.And I think it must work because when I run the brush down the chimney I only get about a hand full I would say of soot.This stove I think wood produce more heat if it had a fan on the back and a heat exchanger like the Lakewood.Anyways the wife and kid I think have the flu bug BuuuuT she thinks the wood stove is the problem.So last week we went out and bought a air cleaner and a co and smoke alarm to the tune of nearly a hundred bucks.I am fine no problems and the alarms are going off but she still thinks its the wood stove.Any body inyour house hold have this flu thats going around and if so what are the simtims.Head ache sore throut shivers and dizzyness.Anyway I told her I would ask you guys.Anyways I hope I have help uses. {sp} Don.

Hi guys.I have 3 different wood stoves,one in my shop, and 2 in my house.The one in the basement is a Lakewood cottager witch is one that I personly build when I worked at Lakewood stoves in Bobcaygeon.Its by far the longest burning with more heat out for amount of wood burned.It will take a 2 foot stick for length and will burn for about 12 hours between fillings.The other one is a warhock hershey ever hear of that one I never did but I have it.Glass single door job.It has a cat converter that sits on top of the stove over the flue pipe on the stove.Its called a dorwood and is manufactered in Manitoba Winnepeg I think.When the heat in the stove reachs 500 degrees you slide the coverter over the flue which acts also as a damper.It has 2 air valves on the door to control the air supply.When the stove is working,the heat in the stve is a say 1000 or 1200 f the temp on the pipe is reading about 250 or 300 f.I also have a turnable damper in the pipe above the stove up about 1 1/2 feet.Some times it seem to burn a lot of wood and dont seem to hold a fire very long,maybe 3 to 4 hours but it only take 12'' length wood.And not as big a fire box as the Lakewood.The converter I clean about once a week.And I think it must work because when I run the brush down the chimney I only get about a hand full I would say of soot.This stove I think wood produce more heat if it had a fan on the back and a heat exchanger like the Lakewood.Anyways the wife and kid I think have the flu bug BuuuuT she thinks the wood stove is the problem.So last week we went out and bought a air cleaner and a co and smoke alarm to the tune of nearly a hundred bucks.I am fine no problems and the alarms are going off but she still thinks its the wood stove.Any body inyour house hold have this flu thats going around and if so what are the simtims.Head ache sore throut shivers and dizzyness.Anyway I told her I would ask you guys.Anyways I hope I have help uses. {sp} Don.

woodfarmer said:
at least there still in business, can't say that for lakewood now can we.

They might still be in business, but try to buy a stove from them. They don't make one anymore, just sell other people's stuff. Last time I looked, they were big on "retro" appliances, stoves, fridges, etc.
I replaced the baffle in my Lakewood twice, firebrick three times. Door was too small, but it would take a stick of wood almost two feet long and thow more heat on less wood. Got rid of it because it was cracking up the side in the middle of the stove, didn't want to take a chance on welding it up, insurance companies don't like that kind of thing. Would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Just to bring this thread back from the dead, I have an Elmira insert, double doors with no catalytic converters; wish it did have!

I'm actually planning to rebuild it with a firebrick lining and secondary air tubes to hopefully increase its efficiency.

It's a huge firebox, which is nice for root balls and odd chunks of wood, but maybe too big for high efficiency?

I'd get something else, but I really like the look and design of the Elmira with the cooktop etc.

Jensen,

Give Tom or Brian Hendrick a call @ Elmira Stove Works in Elmira, On. @
800 295 8498
Tom & his son Brian own the place, they'll answer your questions re. the cat. & your stove.
They stock a large inventory of parts for the older inserts & stoves.
I have 2 Elmira inserts, they helped me with a blower unit for one of them.
My company supplies Elmira Stove Works with assy. & drill fixtures for their new products.
They're a class act, I wish all our customers were as good as they are!
They have just released a new line of wood burning cookstoves, check out their site:
http://www.elmirastoveworks.com

Cheers.
Paul

One good modification for these inserts is to put a small rotary switch between the thermostat and the fan. That way you can override the thermostat and switch the fan on whenever you want. It will still turn on or off by the thermostat if the switch is in the off position. I used a brass one that blended in well, just had to cut one little piece out of the expanded metal screen to fit it in.

Latest posts

Back