Elm's (Dead) and DED

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Can someone offer insight into the destruction of the Elms? Dutch Elm Disease (DED) has been around since the early 1900's but why hasn't there been any cure to combat DED? Why for the last 100 years have we been able to find a cure for polio, put a man on the moon, invent the automatic transmission, the 346XP, but not been able to manufacture a cure for DED?

Every day I drive by 100's of dead elms and I wonder why can't, or why hasn't anything be done? I have attached a thread from Rainbow Tree Care discussing some of their products to keep elms healthy.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=112574

On this thread you can see a picture of my American Elm in my front yard. You can see the interest I have in keeping this beauty healthy. Its a shame these beautiful trees are becoming fewer and fewer each day.

Safe cutting

After you figure out the cure for DED you can do the EAB too. I have lots of elms in my yard and in the surrounding area. I dont mind them dying cause I love to burn them. Sorry :(

What he said...(on the rainbow forum). Arbortect is, in fact, the industry standard. You don't necessairly need to buy it directly through them, but it is the product to use. So....to answer your question, there is a "cure" for DED as much as there is a "cure" for polio ;)

There are also a few disease resistant pure American elms: Valley Forge, Harmony, Liberty

Latest posts

Back