Empyre outdoor furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been on the fence with burning wood for some time now. Ive got plenty of wood I believe. Mostly pine but there are some hardwoods out there on my land. My biggest concern with the OWB would be the crazy amount of wood Ive read about some people going through.
I've been thinking of the gasification units but didnt want to add a chimeny to my house.
I really like the idea of putting one of these gasification units in a small building incorporated with wood storage. My only issue is all the wood ive cut so far will have to be cut in half. Ive been making 30" pieces.

Ive been on the fence with burning wood for some time now. Ive got plenty of wood I believe. Mostly pine but there are some hardwoods out there on my land. My biggest concern with the OWB would be the crazy amount of wood Ive read about some people going through.
I've been thinking of the gasification units but didnt want to add a chimeny to my house.
I really like the idea of putting one of these gasification units in a small building incorporated with wood storage. My only issue is all the wood ive cut so far will have to be cut in half. Ive been making 30" pieces.

The thing with owb's is that once installed the only cost of running one is gas for the saws and the truck. The trick is to make sure you use some kind if well insulated pipe system running underground. I know i keep my house and shed alot warmer than I would if I was buying propane. I would have spent a small fortune if I was buying propane. Everyone has a different opinion as to what a crazy amount of wood is too. I burn about 15 cord a year I think. Is that a crazy amount to heat a 5000 sqft house to 80° and a shop to 65°(it's 2340 sqft with 14 ft ceiling) and supplement my hot water for the house. I don't think so. It just depends on what you want to heat as to how much wood you burn. You just have to be realistic with all the variables like the age of the house, R-value in the ceiling and the walls and windows and how warm you want it. Sorry this isn't organized very well but hopefully you get my point.:D

The thing with owb's is that once installed the only cost of running one is gas for the saws and the truck. The trick is to make sure you use some kind if well insulated pipe system running underground. I know i keep my house and shed alot warmer than I would if I was buying propane. I would have spent a small fortune if I was buying propane. Everyone has a different opinion as to what a crazy amount of wood is too. I burn about 15 cord a year I think. Is that a crazy amount to heat a 5000 sqft house to 80° and a shop to 65°(it's 2340 sqft with 14 ft ceiling) and supplement my hot water for the house. I don't think so. It just depends on what you want to heat as to how much wood you burn. You just have to be realistic with all the variables like the age of the house, R-value in the ceiling and the walls and windows and how warm you want it. Sorry this isn't organized very well but hopefully you get my point.:D

I am in the same boat 3600 sqft house 1600sqft shop 12' ceilings radiant floor in both with oil boilers now .Heating fuel has gone crazy in price 37cents a litre when I built in 1997 last fill was 93 cents getting out of control .I also have 120 acres to acces wood.Put some money in pocket in exchange for some time...

Latest posts

Back