Engine options for Vermeer SC-252 Stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up Dr. Deutz or look him up on the net, get one of the little air cooled diesels that are super fuel efficent. I run a 4 cylinder 1.6 liter CAT 35 hp on my ztr lawn mower and it is fantastic. It uses only .7 gal per hour.

Deutz is in a MAJOR lawsuit with Rayco over their engines..stumper engines need to be beefed up CONSIDERABLY over ANYTHING that goes into any mower..Rayco tried going with Kubota for their diesels and they cant handle them either..a guy I sub work out to that has an RG-100..one of only like 5 in the entire country says any engine you put onto a stumper better be the heaviest duty you have known..you can buy a 25 hp kohler engine from northern for like 1500 bucks..but that is designed for low vibration use in mowers..the ones that rayco puts onto their 1625 will run you around 3800..if you think I am kidding..call them up and ask them..northern doesnt even care the model they use..the major problem simply is too much vibration..its as easy as that..dont waste your money on anything less..if you do..you ARE wasting your money..

I have replaced the Kohler 27hp with a Kohler 30hp.
I talked to both my Vermeer dealer and the Kohler distributor and both said the engine mounts for the 27, 30, and 38hp engines were the same.

...and they were wrong! I had a quote from the Vermeer agents to fit the new engine so it didn't affect me, but they were very unhappy when they had to make a new mounting plate for the base, and there was also at least one bolt on the side which was in a different place too!:bang:

Having said that the machine has now run brilliantly for a long time and the extra 3hp has made more difference than I would have thought possible.

I would have loved to put the 38hp on there but they weren't sure if the belts and bearings would stand up the the added torque, and I didn't want to do a whole rebuild! I still wonder if it could though.....

Specs on the kohlers...
attachment.php

How i got the bigger engine to fit on mine...
attachment.php

SC252 repower

I know this is an old thread but I am sure I am not the only one wanting to repower my 252. Kohler sucks - even though Vermeer sell the complete engine for less than $1700. I wouldn't mind a Honda, but they only go to 22hp. I have noticed that their 22 outperforms Kohler 25's and 27's in the smaller chippers. (Altec and Bearcat vs Vermeer). Chipper design has something to do with that. Kawasaki would be great, but a little heavy on an already top heavy machine. Then there is the Hatz diesel, now that would be something. Briggs Vanguard 30hp would be better than the Kohler, but their repower program doesn't work for us little guys. The bearings and belts on the 252 IMO will not take over 35hp. I want to upgrade the hydraulic pump and eliminate the two upper belts. More ground speed, more sweep speed, and easier adjustment of the wheel belt. If anyone out there has done, or is interested in doing, any of this I would like to discuss with them.

Latest posts

Back