English Ivy on a soft (silver) maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned Netterville

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
atp[ Walden Ridge overlooking Sequatchie Valley, T
Just moved into a house in Dayton area of Ohio with a large soft maple in the back yard, about 5-feet in diameter 2 feet up from the ground, and maybe 50-70 feet high with a magnificent canopy. It is surrounded by and centered within a mature, dense, 30-feet in diameter bed of English Ivy that is climbing the tree densely to a height of about 8-10 feet with sparser tendrils to about 15 feet. The tree is health and I like the bed of Ivy, but should worry about the ivy doing any harm to this lovely specimen? I could cut the Ivy back from the tree's trunk, but I'd rather not if it isn't a hazard to the tree. Any advice on this question would be appreciated.

It is not likely to harm the tree. The concern I have with it on big maple trees like that is that it can hide existing issues (hollow spots) on the tree. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pull much of it off the trunk so you can see what is going on - have it inspected by a professional if need be then let the ivy grow back. You won't easily hurt the ivy.

That will look messy...I'd just cut them. they will be back in very short order. Even if you pull 50-75% of it off instead of all of it, that should be enough to see if there are areas that need a closer look and it will fill back in even faster.

That will look messy...I'd just cut them. they will be back in very short order. Even if you pull 50-75% of it off instead of all of it, that should be enough to see if there are areas that need a closer look and it will fill back in even faster.

Gottcha. That occurred to me. Makes good sense. Thanks again.

Back