Enough Heat? - Newly installed Furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducted wrong

Your stove is ducted wrong your never going to move any heat as its currently hooked up.

You have 2 options

1. Tie the Hot air side of the wood stove to the cold air side of the furnace and allow furnace blower to move the air to the house. That is the normal hack way. You will need a secondary thermostat to cycle the furnace blower on and off as needed.

2. Better way is to hook up in complete loop by ducting the cold air to cold air of furnace. And Hot air of the wood stove to hot air of furnace. Then isolate furnace with flopper. However you will need a much bigger blower than 500 cfm and you cant do it with 2 small rounds you will need a plenum.

Mark

Well, I certainly thank everyone for their help so far. It looks like the mission continues...
I hooked up the larger blower (~1500cfm) along w/ the original smaller blower, and I still have the same effect of not much heat making it to my main furnace plenum and t/o the house to feel any noticeable heat. I've both ran the main furnace blower and not ran the main furnace blower, both with the same basic result - not enough heat.
So, now I am considereing the next couple of options:

1) To move the heat outlets of the wood furnace from the main furnace plenum to the main furnace cold air return. Has anyone experienced issues w/ their main furnace when doing this? I've seen the risk mentioned, but no one has actually said this destroyed thier main furnace

2) I may do what laynes suggest and put it in series (more work though). Has this indeed worked most of the time? I just wonder if it'll be taking away any effieciency of the main furnace whenever I do indeed need to use the gas, or even when needing to use the A/C in Summer.

Are you getting good air flow through your system with your current set up?

If you are, but the problem is temperature of air then can you try to reduce the airflow some? With both those blower pushing air through your ducts that is a lot of air flow, maybe if you could slow it down you would feel more heat. Try with out the 500 cfm blower and see if that helps, if you had the ability to control speed on your larger blower that would be nice to.

Guess I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble. Have you determined whether or not the amount of heat being delivered to your house is enough to maintain the temp or not? I just wonder if it's a question of your expections of the air temperature coming out of the registers. Even when my fire is dying down and the temp coming out of the registers is in the mid 80's (which does not feel warm) it is enough to keep the house heated unless it is getting down towards 0 outside. When fire is going good, the temp is 105 or so. How big is your house?

Square footage and insulation plays a key part of heating any home with a wood burning appliance. Series works well! But in order to do it right, you need to run a duct to bypass the woodfurnace when using gas, or the ac. Its not that hard to do. If you are running 1500 cfms through the jacket of the woodfurnace, and the heat hasn't changed, then series may not work. Also if you have an adjustable limit/control, change your settings some. I run about 140 on and 90 off. Lukewarm air is fine though the registers, if its constant. I usually get lukewarm air, until it hits below zero out, then I crank the temp on the furnace around 500 and push 130+ degree heat from the registers.

Latest posts

Back