Equipment/advice for beginning Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are some good online stores to at least look at different products that are out there? Pretty close to my home is Alexander Equipment so I can try out saddles and stuff there, but id also like to look at some other stuff.

I started out when I was 22 with an older guy who some would call a pickup hack. I call him a treeman. He was nearly 40 and didn't mind letting me climb and teaching me. I also went with him on the sales jobs and learned how to price jobs and sales techniques. I am also happy to say that this guy didn't just push takedowns. Instead he took the approach of treating trees for all around good health. I remember he would always walk up and pat a tree that was to be treated like an old friend. Anyway, I worked for him for a few years and learned how to climb and sell. Eventually, he had yellowpage ads out in two cities and had more work than he could do on his own so he let me handle a lot of work he got from the ad where he didn't want to travel and I picked up my own crew/team. That didn't last forever and I started selling and doing my own jobs. Times got tough a few times and I hired on with a couple of large tree services where I learned some invaluable knowledge like more advanced climbing techniques and doing arial lifts.

Experience is the best teacher but it helps a lot if you can find someone who is willing to take the time and have the patience to teach you.

Good luck to you my friend! ;)

he took the approach of treating trees for all around good health. I remember he would always walk up and pat a tree that was to be treated like an old friend. )
Touching trees, selling care-- sounds like a true professional, no matter what his wheels looked like.:blob2:

Good luck! I am also just getting started. I been climbing for just about a year now on and off. Something i have learnt though is to look around sometimes your bigger companies are a better bet for training plus it will probably lead to more money and opertunity. I worked for an independent company i got alot of saddle time, but not a hole lot of training. Now i work for a big company where I am getting alot more traing from not being as pushed, and alot more opertunity like spraying license, and bucket training.

To the Eagle

Hey there. I was gonna give you a heads up about an upcoming event happening at the end of this month. It's a two day program put on by the Illinois arborist association in conjuciton with Purdue. It's called the midwest urban tree care forum. It's March 30-31 and registration for an ISA student member is $50 and there's a great line up of things so far. It's near chicago and the hotel rooms for the night are $96 bucks for a single or double. If you're interested in going we could split a room and we could stay one night or two depending on your interest. The hotel which is kind of the base is in Naperville and if we split a double you're looking roughly $48 a night and here's the program so far. Also we usually do some work on the grounds to help supplement the cost of food and such. It'd be a good experience and there's a lot of good speakers and some employers there for a job fair and if you're interested and we have some free time we could even do some climbing. Here's the list of things so far that I know of.
Current program content:

1) Morton Arboretum, Lisle - choice of three tours: 1) Plants of
China, 2) Children's garden, and 3) Ecological parking lot and run-off
water management

2) Bonnema Woods, Naperville - a residential development with strict
tree preservation in the covenant

3) Plant health care, West Chicago - state-of-the-art handling and
safety technology for the products used to control plant pests

4) Brookfield Zoo, Brookfield - tree care issues in conjunction with
wild animals

5) Millennium Park, Chicago - a tree filled park established over a
parking garage and train station

6) Cantigny Park, Wheaton - a public park with trees and formal
gardens; also the site for the service project

7) Job fair Friday night

8) Other sites are under discussion

Hey there. I was gonna give you a heads up about an upcoming event happening at the end of this month. It's a two day program put on by the Illinois arborist association in conjuciton with Purdue. It's called the midwest urban tree care forum. It's March 30-31 and registration for an ISA student member is $50 and there's a great line up of things so far. It's near chicago and the hotel rooms for the night are $96 bucks for a single or double. If you're interested in going we could split a room and we could stay one night or two depending on your interest. The hotel which is kind of the base is in Naperville and if we split a double you're looking roughly $48 a night and here's the program so far. Also we usually do some work on the grounds to help supplement the cost of food and such. It'd be a good experience and there's a lot of good speakers and some employers there for a job fair and if you're interested and we have some free time we could even do some climbing. Here's the list of things so far that I know of.
Current program content:

1) Morton Arboretum, Lisle - choice of three tours: 1) Plants of
China, 2) Children's garden, and 3) Ecological parking lot and run-off
water management

2) Bonnema Woods, Naperville - a residential development with strict
tree preservation in the covenant

3) Plant health care, West Chicago - state-of-the-art handling and
safety technology for the products used to control plant pests

4) Brookfield Zoo, Brookfield - tree care issues in conjunction with
wild animals

5) Millennium Park, Chicago - a tree filled park established over a
parking garage and train station

6) Cantigny Park, Wheaton - a public park with trees and formal
gardens; also the site for the service project

7) Job fair Friday night

8) Other sites are under discussion

Thanks for the heads up man! Ill keep that in mind, but im not a student member of ISA yet and im pretty sure that ive got something going on that weekend here at school.

It's a great opportunity and you don't have to be a student member of ISA to go you just have to pay a little more it's $75 for a non member. If it's not something big you have going on I would encourage you to go.

I would tell you work at something you are interested in doing for a living and try it out. If it is some kind of tree business, go work for an old timer, then when he is ready to retire, buy the business from him.
Any any rate, do work that you love and the money will follow.

it's $75 for a non member. If it's not something big you have going on I would encourage you to go.
I would too, if you are sincere about this career.

Let's see, "registration for an ISA student member is $50" + $25 dues = $75 noinmember. I don't have a college degree:jester: , so please sir check the math ofr me. It seems that joining costs you NOTHING if you attend.

:love1:

im new to

hi my names bill howe i am new to tree climbing to. i myself read several books on all aspects of tree work and taught myself how to climb in my own back yard and through countless mistakes and falls. i would recomend the fundamentals of general tree work by gerald berenak.as for your gear try a company called wesspur.good luck and play it safe.proud owner of a husqvarna 51 141 and a home:greenchainsaw: lite:greenchainsaw: :

Latest posts

Back