Equipment Purchase at Trade Show

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone...

Does anyone have experience with making a large purchase at a Trade show? I am curious if you can usually get a better deal waiting for the Paul Bunyan or others such as this? Can you usually get a nice discount? I would imagine there would be a saving in freight if you buy there and pull home.

I am considering a firewood processor but can hold off till next fall. I have been crunching numbers and I just have this thought in my head that I could probably get a better deal, below retail, if I make a buy at a show. Maybe if I wait till the last day of the trade show? Hey, every little bit helps when you are trying to make money selling firewood!

I would appreciate your thoughts and/or experience with this.

Thanks

WCA

I would assume if you called and made a deal before the show and let them use "your" machine for the show you could get a discount. No idea how much that would be I think it would depend on your talking and buying skills. I've only been to a few shows here but I would think if you were willing to do some legwork for them you might be able to get a deal. For instance get everything setup that they need for the show. Source and supply the logs they need, dispose of all the sawdust, lumber/ firewood etc after the show that kind of thing. Maybe even provide truck, trailers or wagons to convey splits into? I go to the Woodstock farm Show most years and the sawmill guys have the cut lumber sitting there with prices on it to get rid of it and maybe make a few dollars back. Taking that headache away from them might save you some money on a machine.

Every Paul Bunyan show I go to, folks are discounting pretty much everything, so they don't have to haul it back home.

That's everything from chainsaws, sawmills, splitters, skidding winches and everything else I've priced while there.

SR

Every Paul Bunyan show I go to, folks are discounting pretty much everything, so they don't have to haul it back home.

That's everything from chainsaws, sawmills, splitters, skidding winches and everything else I've priced while there.

SR
I'm with Rob, every show I've been to the dealers are knocking chunks off the price so they done have to drag it back. I was even looking at a log cabin at the Harrisburg Outdoorsman show last year and they knocked a lot off the cabin if you put $1000 down before they started loading it back up. Plus they threw in the granite counters and cabinets that don't come with the base deal, Joe.

It doesn't seem to work that way here in the Great White North. They have skids of Specials like a certain model of chain saw or string trimmer or whatever small item but usually not much of a deal on big ticket items at the shows. At least not that I have noticed. I even asked Woodland Mills if they were going to the Woodstock show because I thought I could make a deal. They don't bother to do many shows by the sounds of it. Our company used to attend the International Plowing match every year but then it just got too expensive for the return and we had enough sales that we didn't feel it was worth it. In the States I know Shows are a big deal but not here.

I went to a show in Ontario Canada a few years ago, they were discounting skidding chains, so I bought one.

SR

I went to a logging trade show at the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds earlier this year here in PA. I think it was sponsored by the Northeast Logging Council. I was surprised at the amount of equipment at the show and many were having "show specials". I think it would be pretty easy to find a good deal. Also a good place to compare different equipment.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

That's the term I was looking for, "show special". Around here they will load the equipment up with a few of the most common options and then offer it at the base price, if you take it now. We have a big Kubota dealer here and they try to sell every tractor they bring to the show. If I were looking for a certain machine and I wasn't quite ready, didn't have the money, I'd hit a couple shows and see what their buy it now price was. Then when I was ready I'd use that as a bargaining chip. Hey, a couple months ago you said I could have that for X dollars? OH, that was a show special. Well, I have cash and I want the show special now.

I'm sure they'd rather you take it home so they don't have to. Some big equipment to move.

Not sure what your looking at for a processor, but take your time and run what your looking at before u buy.
The numbers on alot of these machines are pretty hyped up production wise.

I got lucky, i had to go to maine, but i was able to try a dyna before i bought, the owner answered all my.questions.without.feeding me.bull, and even put some knarly logs on so i could see how it handled them.
Unless u have a log yard, id say forget numbers and go for accessability. You will have to reach into that splitter box more then you think.
Only the monsters with a 20 way box wedge wont require resplits.
Dyna has u right there, u can manipulate a log or reach into the splitter box from the control station.

have it in mind what you want long before the show and be ready to purchase months before the show. I bought a Dyna in 2014....tried calling around about a month before the show to see what they were taking and if they would be for sale at the show. Dyna used the show as a delivery point for units, they knocked off the normal $1000 delivery charge for the use of the unit that weekend. If your open to brands and specs your options open up a bit and deals can be had but you may be buying a smaller, larger, different brand, or different options than what you actually wanted

I went to a logging trade show at the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds earlier this year here in PA. I think it was sponsored by the Northeast Logging Council. I was surprised at the amount of equipment at the show and many were having "show specials". I think it would be pretty easy to find a good deal. Also a good place to compare different equipment.

Any idea when that show comes back to bloomsburg? I haven't been up that way for a while!

Any idea when that show comes back to bloomsburg? I haven't been up that way for a while!
From my understanding, the show is done by the Northeast Logging Council and it's moved to different venues every year. I'll try to find out more and I'll post if I find anything. They don't do a very good job of advertising their events. Don't know why.

From my understanding, the show is done by the Northeast Logging Council and it's moved to different venues every year. I'll try to find out more and I'll post if I find anything. They don't do a very good job of advertising their events. Don't know why.

I just googled the north east logging council show, its in Vermont in 2018, and Bloomsburg in 2019. Thanks for the info, I would have never been able to find it.

Timbercreek, which Dyna did you get? Likes, or dislikes running it?

Sandhill,
I bought the dyna sc 16. Kubota 48hp diesel, 25" bar, 14' conveyor.
Sweet little unit, 30 tons of splitting. Runs anything thru the 4 way, cant be a whisker on the 6 way or it will stop with oak. Cut some beautiful 18" maybe 20" oak, had the 6 way on from pine, was like let me.try it. First piece split great.
Second piece stopped at the side wedges...what a pia to get off.
Ran the rest of the log thru, jammed it 3 times. Once unjammed it did split the piece rotated 90 degrees. Decide the 4 way was the way to go. Split low, 2 good pieces out bottom, roll top 2 back for resplit easy peasy.
Most ive got out of it is 2.5cord a hr doing big split boiler wood with a operator in the skidsteer feeding me almost.constant.
He actually bitched, because hed get out to watch with a full deck, and only get to.stand there for 2 minutes, and he had to load again. As i was below half deck.
Deck loading is very annoying if solo, its that fast. I was leaving a full load on the forks to roll onto deck once there was room by gravity.
The dyna is great, 1gal fuel a hour, easy to manipulate wood on the deck, in the box.
In my opinion, its the best bang for thr buck until you jump over 100k, and im not really sure the 100k multiteks arent just a bigger headache. The more i looked at processors, the more i didnt want a cab. I wanted to be close to the splitter box.

Sandhill, the best thing is the speed. With its splitter speed and ease of access, you could totally use it as a splitter.
A assistant could totally be dropping in handcut blocks from the other side while u ran.

I just googled the north east logging council show, its in Vermont in 2018, and Bloomsburg in 2019. Thanks for the info, I would have never been able to find it.
Very odd how the Bloomsburg Fair works. They have good shows but very little communication and advertising. My dealer is about 10 minutes from the grounds. Said he got a last minute invite and very little info. Didn't even know what to bring to set up.

Very odd how the Bloomsburg Fair works. They have good shows but very little communication and advertising. My dealer is about 10 minutes from the grounds. Said he got a last minute invite and very little info. Didn't even know what to bring to set up.

They usually have a pretty good gun show every year too.

Back