equipment trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@squad, is that your chipper hooked to your dump trailer, hooked to your truck? If so, is that legal? Not that I care if is legal or not, just wondering.

Yes the chipper is hooked to the back of the dump trailer. Yes it is legal in Ontario, as long as the whole outfit is not longer than 75'. That, and the combined weight of what you're towing can not exceed 14,000 lbs without having a class A (CDL) license. Technically it is not considered a double trailer as in Ontario the chipper is "towable equipment", no license plate.

Before I bought the dump truck (last year), that's how I used to roll. We'd call it "The train".:laugh: Can't back it up more than five feet unless you get lucky. When I first started using it, every MTO Officer (transport police) in my area, would pull me over. Once they knew the rig and that I always ran with the proper documents/logs, it happened a lot less. Bit of a PITA for a while though.

One advantage of the chipper, is that it's small and light (2000 lbs). The whole set up tows amazing, loaded or empty. Don't think it would wok that well with a lot bigger chipper.
162099d1292378435-truck-organizer-003-jpg

116487d1259551192-fall-09-tree-work-012-jpg

Sometimes I wish I could "train" gear like that here. I started out with one truck a chipper and the dump trailer what a PITA.

Great input or feedback to this thread.

The posts I've read to date indicate lots of us go through deep thought before investing in supportive equipment like trailers. Although a trailer doesn't do the direct work, it supports getting work and to the job site(s). Your shopping criteria should include 1. Utility, 2. Cost,
3. Size for accessing most jobs you do most often, 4. Versatility for getting more done in less time, 5. User reviews if available, And 6. How the unit would be hauled with what truck(s) you have. If a used unit looks like a bargain check carefully to find reasons why it is being sold. You will make a wise decision and hopefully earn a quick return pour investment. Buena suerte!

as the op i just want to say thanks for all the great input, i havent purchased anything yet, i have time. i dont have the equipment to haul with it yet, right now my good buddy who has a mini excavator has been my wood moving guy all winter. im still going with a 14 foot dump, but i am deffently looking for one made with thicker gauge steel.

I use a 6-ton rated 5 X 10' JDJ dump trailer. Use a 2003 Tundra to pull it, and am suprised the tranny on the poor truck hasn't blown yet. That truck sure doesn't owe me anything. The trailer has also been excellent. Got one 5' wide instead of 6' so that the wheel width would match the Tundra. Met a guy I did a job for a few weeks ago with a 2004 Tundra - he has 470,000 km (around 282,000 miles) on it. Said he was going to trade it in a couple of years ago when it had only around 250,000K on it and the dealer offered him peanuts, so he is just gtonna continue to use it till it dies in action.

JDJ makes some excellent dump trailers, I was lucky enough to trade around for two of them last season and rebuilt one so far, it works great but has been loaned out for months...guess I'll have to get after the other one soon
.Finally Got Another Dump Trailer - GreensForum.com

Yes the chipper is hooked to the back of the dump trailer. Yes it is legal in Ontario, as long as the whole outfit is not longer than 75'. That, and the combined weight of what you're towing can not exceed 14,000 lbs without having a class A (CDL) license. Technically it is not considered a double trailer as in Ontario the chipper is "towable equipment", no license plate.

Before I bought the dump truck (last year), that's how I used to roll. We'd call it "The train".:laugh: Can't back it up more than five feet unless you get lucky. When I first started using it, every MTO Officer (transport police) in my area, would pull me over. Once they knew the rig and that I always ran with the proper documents/logs, it happened a lot less. Bit of a PITA for a while though.

One advantage of the chipper, is that it's small and light (2000 lbs). The whole set up tows amazing, loaded or empty. Don't think it would wok that well with a lot bigger chipper.

you should build another one of those kick ass tops like what you have on the dodge for the dump trailer , I mean that would be sweet

How does chipping into a dump trailer work out for you. What are you using to keep chips from getting out?

I thought about getting one a while back to make my pickup be able to haul a substantial amount of chips/logs.

Iooked at getting a 14k gvw. Do you think I would be able to chip into it with a large chipper like a 2400xl morbark.
I know I couldn't tow it like that but it would be sweet.

kinda oftopic but not really..

I was wondering if anyone has ever took a dump trailer or half dump/ half flat deck trailer and mounted a chipper to the deck so that you were pulling a combined chipper/ dump trailer. If this is confusing i could make a photoshop picture up.. basically dump trailer with chipper mounted on deck infront of it

I was wondering if anyone has ever took a dump trailer or half dump/ half flat deck trailer and mounted a chipper to the deck so that you were pulling a combined chipper/ dump trailer. If this is confusing i could make a photoshop picture up.. basically dump trailer with chipper mounted on deck infront of it

Bandit makes one its on their website.

theres one on ebay now
Bear Cat 72825 Chipper and 12' dump trailer combo | eBay

How does chipping into a dump trailer work out for you. What are you using to keep chips from getting out?

I thought about getting one a while back to make my pickup be able to haul a substantial amount of chips/logs.

Iooked at getting a 14k gvw. Do you think I would be able to chip into it with a large chipper like a 2400xl morbark.

What i found out that works best is to lift the bed up a little bit and then chip into it. That way most of the chips go into the bed and not over the front. Kinda like this
226704d1330511035-dump1-jpg

I just place 2 sheets of 1/4" plywood across the top and drag the mesh tarp up over the top. I place a cut piece of plywood across the front (& under the tarp).

I'm sure you could chip into it with a larger chipper. Depends on your chute height. You could always build the sides up higher. Mine are the height they are so I can store it in my garage for the winter. In the picture, you can see that we tilted up the last sheet of plywood to accommodate the lower sides. Works for us.

211216d1323742205-dsc03798-jpg

I just place 2 sheets of 1/4" plywood across the top and drag the mesh tarp up over the top. I place a cut piece of plywood across the front (& under the tarp).

I'm sure you could chip into it with a larger chipper. Depends on your chute height. You could always build the sides up higher. Mine are the height they are so I can store it in my garage for the winter. In the picture, you can see that we tilted up the last sheet of plywood to accommodate the lower sides. Works for us.

211216d1323742205-dsc03798-jpg

is that your lift in the picture? the local rental yard sells the 40ft ones all the time and I've almost grabbed one so many times but always say thats what i have a saddle for. one day I'm probably gonna do it just to make quick backyard work a lot faster.

I use a 6-ton rated 5 X 10' JDJ dump trailer. Use a 2003 Tundra to pull it, and am suprised the tranny on the poor truck hasn't blown yet. That truck sure doesn't owe me anything. The trailer has also been excellent. Got one 5' wide instead of 6' so that the wheel width would match the Tundra. Met a guy I did a job for a few weeks ago with a 2004 Tundra - he has 470,000 km (around 282,000 miles) on it. Said he was going to trade it in a couple of years ago when it had only around 250,000K on it and the dealer offered him peanuts, so he is just gtonna continue to use it till it dies in action.

i have a 02 tundra that ive been pulling my stumpy around it weighs about 4000lbs with the trailer and my bandit 990. I have no electric brake hook up on it which i need to do, my overdrive selenoid just wnt out on the tranny other than that it seems to do fine. I think the pulling caused the selenoid problem.

"have a 02 tundra that ive been pulling my stumpy around it weighs about 4000lbs with the trailer and my bandit 990. I have no electric brake hook up on it which i need to do, my overdrive selenoid just wnt out on the tranny other than that it seems to do fine. I think the pulling caused the selenoid problem."

I don't get more than 2 years out of a set of front brake pads on my '03. The death of the air conditioner caused some sadness. Had extra leaf put in rear springs - helps when carrying mongo loads of wood & towing chipper at the same time.

is that your lift in the picture? the local rental yard sells the 40ft ones all the time and I've almost grabbed one so many times but always say thats what i have a saddle for. one day I'm probably gonna do it just to make quick backyard work a lot faster.

No unfortunately. It's a rental. It's a tz50.

I would love to own one. They are around $20,000 used and I can rent one for $200/day.

They are a little bouncy though. I feel safer in my saddle. :smile:

Last edited:
Back