estimating height of trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi All, got shown a variation of a technique I used to use to estimate tree height the other day and thought I'd pass it on for any who might find it useful.

The old way I was doing it was the 'scale then measure' technique of standing well back from the tree, holding your hand out at arms length then finding some combination or part of your hand/hands that is the same as the height of the tree (palm width, hand span, two handspans together, fist plus hand span etc) then use whatever you scaled and turn it 90 degree with one end eyed up against the base of the trunk. Find some useful landmark that lines up with the other end (plant, fence picket etc) and you now have the length of the tree on the ground so you can pace it out to get the height. Also useful if you want to know where the tree is going to land ;-) Sounds a bit complex but fast and easy. This is the way I often used to do it.

The other day someone showed me this technique. Using a tape measure, put a mark/line/piece of tape or whatever 1m above ground on the trunk. Or use whatever distance you like; 2 metres, 3 feet, 6 feet etc.

Now get a footlong/30cm ruler or a tape measure or whatever and go a good distance back from the tree, far enough so that when held at arms length the ruler is bigger than the tree. Looking at the ruler, line the '0' up with ground and measure how far it is to your mark. ideally it's say, 1cm or 2cm for the metre (substitute inches or whatever else you like). Now measure the whole tree with the ruler and scale, you have the height. So if it's 1cm per metre, then 25cm is a 25 metre tree etc. You need to keep the ruler the same distance from your eye for this to work. It's quite accurate and a good weight (with a log weight chart) to get an estimated tonnage.

If you need to be closer to the tree and the tree is then bigger than the ruler you can measure it in stages (preferred) and add it together, or move the ruler closer to your eye. It gets hard to keep the ruler at the same distance if its closer to your eye though and this effects the accuracy. It is more accurate to measure from further away because the relative distance between you and the base vs you and the tip is less.

once you've done it a couple of times it's really fast and quite accurate. A very cheap solution to estimating tree height, and if you have a bunch of trees in the same yard and you're standing roughly the same distance from all of them then you only have to put a mark on one tree - the scale will be the same for all the others. If you do this often enough, you dont even need to put a mark - just pacing the same number of paces out from a tree and using a ruler or tape measure will be pretty close.

Shaun

The Egyptians Would measure the shadow of a pyramid and scale it to their own shadow. Basics of algebra.

I usually just figure they are pretty tall if I run out of climbing line...

Once you have been doing this for awhile.......you wont need to do all that uneccessary crap!!! & why would it matter? either you have room to drop the whole thing or you dont? or room to piece it out?

if the yard is that small....you`re climbing anyway!!! If the yard is obviously not large enough to accomodate a one piece drop....then you`re climbing it!!!

Ive bid jobs where the other guy comes out with his tree height gage, talks all kinda crap (think big yellow company).....trying to be all that!!! :laugh: then I take alook, write up the bid & when all is said & done: the company Rep didnt impress them at all.......other than the outrageous price he gave them!!!

LXT.................

Once you have been doing this for awhile.......you wont need to do all that uneccessary crap!!! & why would it matter? either you have room to drop the whole thing or you dont? or room to piece it out?

if the yard is that small....you`re climbing anyway!!! If the yard is obviously not large enough to accomodate a one piece drop....then you`re climbing it!!!

Yep. Mostly true.

But every now and then, you can save some labor by knowing FOR SURE that you can drop the tree without problems.

I eyeball a "close call" tree real quick by walking away from the tree to where the top of the tree is visible at a 45° angle. Add the height of my eye to my distance from the tree trunk, and that is where the top will fall. If it is too close to call? Cut higher up the tree trunk, and it will not fall as far!

As you might guess, it takes a little bit of experience to accurately gauge a 45° angle. You can use a carpenter's square, but over the years I have acquired a couple of other toys.

I have one of these:
300.5010gt.jpg

http://www.kooters.com/brunton.html

Last edited:
I also have a Nikon laser rangefinder with inclinometer. I can shoot the angle to the top of the tree, the angle to the bottom of the tree, and the distance to the tree from a single viewpoint.

I feed the numbers to a spreadsheet in my PDA, and I know exactly where the tree will fall. If you are not any good at doing trigonometry, you can always just buy the unit that is made especially for measuring trees!

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/laser/f550/index.htm

Of course, I really don't ever use the laser rangefinder for trees. If it's that close, you are better off safe than sorry. Climb it, then cut it! I really got the rangefinder to measure acreage and hillside slopes for my tractor mowing operations. With my little toys in the glove box of my car, I can measure a 60 acre field standing in one corner of the property!

[Fortunately, Google Earth and other aerial imaging websites have made it more accurate for me to measure a field from my desk than actually walking the property with a roll-a-tape. Of course, that does not help at all with terrain or other variables that must be viewed in person]

Clinometer. Quick and easy.

The little pocket transit pictured above IS a clinometer. I would never have bought it; it was given to me by an employee that did not know what it was for.

For someone who really wants a practical, accurate tool to measure tree height, get a laser rangefinder with clinometer functions built-in. It's WAY more accurate!

I've got a Nikon rangefinder as well. Not the one that compensates for angles but I have the formula saved on my other computer to figure that if I want. I use mine for bowhunting so 2 or 3 yards is not that critical for my application. However, my Nikon warns that it is accurate from 1 to 3 yards +-. That is roughly 3 to 9 feet. Not enough to worry about for archery but that is quite a margin of error for dropping a tree. Be careful if you use the rangefinder...

All I can say is...wow!

I just grab a stick, hold it vertical so that the length above my hand is equal to the length of my outstretched arm, hold it level fully outstretched so that it is overlapping the tree in my vision, and then back away until the tree top to the cut look match the length of the stick.

This gives a pretty good estimate of where the top will end up. I figure if I have to be accurate within 10' then I might not want to drop the tree.

I guess all that fancy gear is for suburban fallers?

No, I think the fancy gear is really needed for the forestry guys. I think that dropping a 200' tall tree into a limited space might get expensive if you misjudge the shot. I'm sure that calculating board feet for harvesting trees isn't too practical without an accurate system. I suppose they get good at guessing too, but until you are really top notch, a toy to help accuracy has got to be a good thing to have.

Like I said, I acquired my toys for other purposes.

I don't even use the stick method. I have gotten so good at eyeballing a 45° angle, I don't ever break out the toys anymore. But then again, I used the angle toys to acquire the skill to begin with.

... my Nikon warns that it is accurate from 1 to 3 yards +-. That is roughly 3 to 9 feet...

I have checked mine quite a bit (initially) against my roll-a-tape. I have found that it is quite accurate. The display reads to 1/2 yard increments, and I have never caught it being off by more than that. Even then; who is to say that a roll-a-tape is more accurate than the rangefinder?

Only a tape measure knows!

I've seen the rangefinder your talking about advertised but I haven't had the chance to get one in my hot little hands and play with it. Supposed to be super accurate from what I have read. It is advertised to compensate for angles from the heights of tree stands and give you a true range. I would love to play with one and compare it to my older Nikon 440. The 440 is fine for estimating range for archery. 10' is not really going to matter in most cases within 40 yards.

There are many little ways to tell the height but I have always been to lazy for something like that. I usually get the feel walking around the tree cause its all is realitive to the landscape and where you can cut.
PD, is right, sometimes I wish I knew so then I think a little harder about things and maybe shoot a line and get a measurement from the end that comes through a high crotch down the trunk.
I have to say I operate under close tolerances in the tree with confidence and things get close and I am a " roof tickeler" myself but dropping poles is not my forte'.
I usually can tell where the tree is going to land cause I am looking down where its gonna fall if you know what I mean. Once i see that I hit the ground. What do we call that? The time you know you can drop it when you know the next thing is you hitting the ground. I wish i had someone to cut it while I did something else but I suppose even though my falling skills are somewhat of a joke ( I think) I still get it done.

I've seen the rangefinder your talking about advertised but I haven't had the chance to get one in my hot little hands and play with it. Supposed to be super accurate from what I have read. It is advertised to compensate for angles from the heights of tree stands and give you a true range. I would love to play with one and compare it to my older Nikon 440. The 440 is fine for estimating range for archery. 10' is not really going to matter in most cases within 40 yards.

I haven't pulled mine out to verify the model number, but I think it was one of the early golf models. No fancy features, it only reads distance to object and the inclination that it is pointed at. Any calculations after that are all math.

Back