Estimating the height of a tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockinB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have some trees tht I need to take down that are in some fairly close areas. I have no idea what the process is for estimating the height of a tree.

Can someone explain how to do it?

Thanks a ton....

Clinometer is a tool that can be used to measure the height of a tree.
another way is to set a throw line to the top of the tree, mark the line, then pull the line down and measure. (add footage for distance line is set below tree top)

If you don't want to spend the money on a clinometer, there's an easy way to get GOOD measurements.

Get yourself a torpedo level (8 bucks or less at Lowe's). Use the 45 degree bubble. Set the level on a stick of some kind, or better yet a camera tripod. With the level at a 45 degree angle (the 45 bubble will show level), sight along the side of the level at the tree. Move backwards or forwards until you are sighted at the top of the tree. Mark where you are. Measure from there to the base of the tree. On level ground, that measurement will be the height of the tree.

The key is you are forming a triangle. The tree is one side (the elevation), a line from the tree's base to you is the other side (the base), and the line from you to the top of the tree is the third side (the hypotenuse).

As long as the angle of the hypotenuse is 45 degrees, the base and elevation are equal.

Back