eucalyptus abatement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mra95662

Reaction score
my neighbor has a large eucalyptus growing a few feet from the property line. its trunk has grown so big it is knocking the fence over, root clumps, are rising in my yard. im constantly raking leaves and picking up bark, and the grass wont grow where the leaves tend to drop.i hate this tree.worse, large branches are growing over my house. this tree is at least 50' tall.my question is how can i prevent new suckers, and can i force the neighbor to get rid of this nuissance

Have you tried asking your neighbor?
If you pay for the removal of the tree, the stump, and lawn repair, he may want to have it removed too.
The other possiblity that comes to mind, is to learn to like the tree, install a chip bed under the tree, repair the fence, have a proffesional trim the tree away from the house. The law allows for a certain amout of trimming on your side of the tree.

Upon reading my response to your question, I realized two things. First, I didn't comment on the suckers. There is a product called Sucker Stopper. Squirt it on freshly cut suckers, and they won't bother you for a few months.
Second, you might think I'm kind of a wisea$$, but if you got to know me all doubt would be removed.:D
Do let us know how it turns out.

From the law's perspective, you own everything inside your property line. This line extends straight up in the air and straight down in the ground. Technically, you are responsible for the limbs over your roof and the roots in your yard, even if they come from a neighbor's tree. You can either work together with your neighbor, or you can just do whatever you want to hack off any roots or limbs in your property. Your choice. If the tree is your ONLY issue, hack away. If you value your relationship with your neighbor, you might wish to find a mutually agreeable solution.
:angel:

Mike, have you done much residential work? I figured you would have known about property line issues. :confused:

Brian,
I respectfully disagree with your assertion that:

"you can just do whatever you want to hack off any roots or limbs in your property."

You can in most cases trim a neighbors tree back to the property line, and if you read my post you will see I said:

"The law allows for a certain amout of trimming on your side of the tree."

But understand, this is not a blank check. For example, I decide I don't like my neighbor, and he has a large tree on the lot line, which is leaning towards his kids swingset. Now suppose I get out my backhoe and cut all the roots on my side, the tree falls and kills a three of his kids.
Still think you can do whatever you want on your side?
Believe me when I tell you, it is not that simple. Be sure if you proceed with working on a neighbors tree, you are prepared to accept any liability for your actions. Even if it's only replacement value of the tree.

There is another problem with cutting back to the lot line, it looks bad. I don't know about you, but I like things to look good around my house. From the sounds of the neighbor, he's not going to do much to fix a butchered tree, then you are stuck looking at it for the rest of time.
Everyone driving by will say look what that guy did to his neighbors tree...:(

Back