Eucalyptus with brown dry leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisb

Reaction score
I have had a Eucalyptus in a large pot for 2 years it has grown to about 6 feet. I am not sure what type of Eucalyptus it is, the tree has a paleish bark with ligher spots on it, the leaves are quite rounded/slightly oval and grey/green in colour they also have a red edge to them. Any advise on what type this could be is much welcome.

Over the last few months the leaves on the branches of the lower half of the tree have turned brown and very dry. I planted the tree in the ground over the weekend hoping this might help. Is there anything else I could/should do?

I live in Kent, England

Thanks

Phew

That's like a needle in a haystack without pics. There is over 800 different gums!

But lets get past the species to what might be going on. I must admit I have never heard of gum trees living in pots.

Sounds like it's dried out to me. When you planted it what was the root system like?

When in the pot how much sunlight was it getting?

What type of soil did you have in the pot?

Was it root bound or were there roots going around in a circular fashion?

Pics would really help here.

Thank you for your reply.

The root system did not appear to be going around in a circular fashion.

The plant was getting full sun with a south facing aspect and was planted in genral compost.

I will be able to post a picture tomorrow.

Ooh, the general compost could be a problem.

Our natives like gums, grevilleas, banksias etc are accustomed to growing in some of the worst soils and as such have a low tolerance of certain fertilizers like phosphorous. These gums are tough guys that'll grow in rock if need be.

It may well be that the tree has lost it's leaves due to being chemically burnt or roots damaged due to rich fertilizer ... we always suggest fertilizing the top of the soil only with light organic stuff like blood & bone.

Anyway, I'm still guessing here, so we'll wait for your pics.

How moist were the roots?

Back