Evergreen Trees Pruning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
All, I have a couple of questions. I have about 10 60ft evergreen trees.

My neighbor has asked if he can top off 10 to 15ft off of 2 of the trees (his cost ofcourse). Most of everything I read says NOT to TOP the trees. I did read somewhere that as long as you trim down the closer branches, it will be ok. Of course, local tree cutters say it's not an issue.

I'm concerned that the trees will die or they will grow back quick enough that my neighbor will be at my door again.

My other quesion is that these same trees are very overgrown (just moved into the property), the lower branches have grown to sweep the ground. I would like to prune the branches up to about 6Ft, so we can walk around without branches taking out an eye and also to clean up the tree.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help/opinions.

746533 said:
My neighbor has asked if he can top off 10 to 15ft off of 2 of the trees
I'm concerned that the trees will die or they will grow back quick enough that my neighbor will be at my door again.
That is a valid concern; some like leylands take well to reduction, others like spruces do not. The first step is to find out what you have--call a certified arborist to do an inventory for you.
the lower branches have grown to sweep the ground. I would like to prune the branches up to about 6Ft, so we can walk around without branches taking out an eye and also to clean up the tree.
Limbing up (raising) evergreens turns them into high-maintenance issues. The same arborist should be able to give you a range of pruning options. Don't be quick to cut! If youwant help here, post some pictures.

Topping will not be a viable option in this situation. I'm imagining you have white pines. If you cut off the main leader, there will be 3-6 branches at the next whorl down that will all try to assume apical dominance (they'll all grow up, quick, to try to be the new leader). Thus, in a couple years, you have a tree that is just as tall, but now you have 3-6 leaders you have to top to get back down to the desired height. Then, a couple years after that, you have even more to deal with, etc. Plus all the other arguments for not topping (health, etc.). Bear in mind that the above statement was for white pine. Like Guy said, some trees will respond well to a crown reduction (not the same as indiscriminate topping). By the way, what will you neighbor get out of the topping? If you decide to have it done, demand that the climber NOT wear spikes (spurs, gaffs, climbers, etc.)

I don't see a problem with raising the branches to 6'. Be careful of flush cuts, and don't remove more than necessary.

Latest posts

Back