Everyone wants to borrow a chain saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SELLERS aren’t the problem, it’s the BUYERS, some don’t even want to pay to Rent a saw, never mind BUY one.

To THEM, the solution is buy one (kind of) on eBay, use and abuse it for the project they currently need it for, then when they’re done with it, it is suddenly “Defective “, even though it showed up in Excellent condition, and finished what they needed to do with it, complain to eBay, and Paypal pulls the money back, and they return the saw that they thrashed, and get free use of the saw, while the seller gets negative feedback, a thrashed saw, and no money, just headaches out of the deal

Doug 😎
You nailed it and we get the repair bill, the shipping cost and pooped on, no thanks. I can take a trip to the city if I need to get mugged. It's the same thing. Call it an online mugging but you got your trashed stuff back.

"Show me what you're trying to do...I have a few saws and tools to choose from....then I'll show you how to use them"

That's my pitch when "friends" need tree work done....
Although recently I've discovered that our town requires a "zoning permit" to remove any tree or bush greater then 6" in diam...$25 and application and approval prior to removal....so I use that now too.
My zoning officer sent me a violations warning after I removed 3 dead ash trees. Warning said I had 4 days to apply for said permission or face violations...
This is the BS, America has come to. Friends have a business property in our little town. Once after a storm damaged a tree, they asked a buddy to take care of the downed limbs etc. As the cleanup was happening, some DNR or Zoning type guy shows up to ask where their credentials and approval was to do that tree work. Needless to say, they did all they could to explain why it was being done, plus showed him the highway. Bureaucracy sux in America today. My property my trees, See ya.

This is the BS, America has come to. Friends have a business property in our little town. Once after a storm damaged a tree, they asked a buddy to take care of the downed limbs etc. As the cleanup was happening, some DNR or Zoning type guy shows up to ask where their credentials and approval was to do that tree work. Needless to say, they did all they could to explain why it was being done, plus showed him the highway. Bureaucracy sux in America today. My property my trees, See ya.

Not all of the USA has lost its marbles yet.

There are no politics in this post at all!

I lived in Maryland before I knew better, and I have friends, recent ones, from NJ and NY. I lived in TN and IN also.

There are pockets of good sense left in every state, but some states are more old fashioned than others overall, in my experience. Call it backward or whatever, but at least we are more free in KY and TN.

Yeee Haww

I am going to go put on my shoes now.
And my overalls.

And straw hat.

Mr Farmer Nate. I do my best to not raise my blood pressure over stupidity of Maryland and other States and even other countrys' laws.

See the thread about Canada banning non ethanol fuel at pumps...

I was also just illustrating how the nanny, green new deal, tree hugger, pita loving, stick their nose in where it doesn't belong types have to ruin the lives of those who want freedom to exist in common sense ways.

Thank God for places like Tn and Ky etc.

My answer to loaner saws is NO.. If I feel any explanation in needed. It begins with the amount of the cash deposit for said borrowing. I will help others with my saw in my hands.... NO others touch my saws. Especially friends..
loaning your chainsaw is the same as loaning your wife, they both come back f**ked

I used to get asked ''Can I borrow your saw/other tool"? A couple times I replied "Can I borrow your wife/girlfriend?" Ever since then,those same people dont ask me to borrow stuff anymore....Cant imagine why :laughing:

Now that is an idea worth expanding upon.

I may start them off easy with truck/car.
I'll go then to cat/dog.
I'll escalate to child/wife.

I live in a suburban but tons of trees and bushes area.. i am pretty beat up so I run a stihl saw every few days for cleanup but cant run it for long. I get too tired out. So I am happy with my situation. However my neighbors can hear my saw running and come over and want to borrow one for ten minutes to do a few branches.
I dont trust that people are safe with a stihl pro saw. I run fast non safety chain.
Saws are so cheap they should get one if they really need one. Not a pro stihl. But hell i have loaned out the harbor freight plug in electric saw. They seem much safer for folks without skills.. and total cost is 45 bucks for a saw inc bar and chain..

Why do people think its ok to ask for expensive gear ? Or stuff they cant run properly ?
They dont know how to mix gas and oil. Cant tighten a chain. And run the chain into the dirt if I am dumb enough to give them a chance.
So often if its someone I like.. god forbid. I will do the work for them. But not loan out the gear.

Other people do similar stuff ?? Or am I missing something I should know better. ??
I make the cuts and go home... done so for 5 neighbors. Four female run households and a guy in his 80s. Never lent a saw to anyone... including my sons! My youngest one has 4 saws of his own!

The guy in his 80s is next door to my parents. I've known him for 59 years. He has a small saw and up until last winter heated with firewood he scrounged and hand split. If I was up there cleaning up dead ash or storm damage and saw him struggling with something I'd go over. He never asked. Due to cardio problems he is now in assisted living and the house is for sale. I still look out for him... cut up a fallen ash on his property Tuesday while cutting up some on my parents' property.

I subscribed!!! --- and on the loaning stuff out, my AC D grader got parked outside and motor filled up with water and stuck,---the deal was that they use it but keep it parked under a roof,--didnt have to be in a shed--- just under a roof, ---well they wouldnt bring it back and when I went to haul it home it was outside in the weeds!! ( still trying to fix the motor)!

Damn, I would be pissed off!!!

Got he motor out of the grader, ---- now the sleeves and pistons have to have different ones put in! Water sat in motor too long also oil pump broke due to water freezing in the crankcase for 4 years.
Any way its my fault for letting them use it, but NOTHING I own will EVER be loaned out again! No more "good joe" here!
Ya pisses, but still have a destroyed motor to fix! ---- Most people around here ask me to come do stuff for them rather than borrow equipment from me since the probably know the answer would be no anyway.

Back