Example of lowlife behavior

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfsiii

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Throughout winter, have been cutting in friend's woodlot , when able to get in road. Snow conditions this season limited # of days, but still got in there several weekend days. Knocked down and cut up good sized red oak and rock maple trees. Lugged out to road and trucked rounds home for splitting. When i am doing trees, I stack all the good sized branches for cutting and trucking home in spring. By Mid March, had several good sized , neatly stacked piles, of ready to cut branches. Since the trees that I cut had large crowns, there was probably 1-1.5 cord of small roundies!
Last week, I headed over there, and what the ....! most of the piles were gone. Only a few of the smallest sticks left. Some lowlife, scum sucking dirtbags stole almost every stick. It would be one thing stealing wood that was laying around, but again, I lugged these sticks to the road through the snow, and stacked them up for cutting. They were not visible from busy road that property abuts, so it is not like I had the piles on display. Heck, they didn't't even take advantage of the rack setup i built, and saw them up, they just ripped piles apart and trucked them off whole. Loozahs......... from now on, if I knock down a tree, I take every piece I want, and leave nothing. Been doing this for several years, never had a problem like this. Made my day...NOT

Yeah well get used too it. As heating oil and it's pals continue too sky rocket, you're going to find a whole lot more of this going on.

No excuse for them but the mistake you made was lugging them down too the road and stacking them up. My experiance is make it as hard as possible and these types will usually not have the motivation too do the work. They are only interested in easy pickings. Next time leave the lugging for when you are taking it with you. :cheers:

Throughout winter, have been cutting in friend's woodlot , when able to get in road. Snow conditions this season limited # of days, but still got in there several weekend days. Knocked down and cut up good sized red oak and rock maple trees. Lugged out to road and trucked rounds home for splitting. When i am doing trees, I stack all the good sized branches for cutting and trucking home in spring. By Mid March, had several good sized , neatly stacked piles, of ready to cut branches. Since the trees that I cut had large crowns, there was probably 1-1.5 cord of small roundies!
Last week, I headed over there, and what the ....! most of the piles were gone. Only a few of the smallest sticks left. Some lowlife, scum sucking dirtbags stole almost every stick. It would be one thing stealing wood that was laying around, but again, I lugged these sticks to the road through the snow, and stacked them up for cutting. They were not visible from busy road that property abuts, so it is not like I had the piles on display. Heck, they didn't't even take advantage of the rack setup i built, and saw them up, they just ripped piles apart and trucked them off whole. Loozahs......... from now on, if I knock down a tree, I take every piece I want, and leave nothing. Been doing this for several years, never had a problem like this. Made my day...NOT

Quite honestly, and without disagreeing with your assessment that the thieves were "low lifes", I'm more surprised that this is the first time that this has happened to you than surprised that some of your unguarded wood went missing.

yup, hate to break it to ya, but wood sitting close to the road is considered free wood by most.....especially if it is unattended.

I'm not saying I agree, just saying that wood left unattended by the road around here would be gone about three minutes after you left the property

Yes, easy picking is what they were, the only problem is I was supposed to be the one who had the easy part, since I was the sucker that did all the hard work! You are right though, with firewood prices up there and still climbing . I don't like wasting stuff I cut, so I always take good size branches. The only require a little bit of cutting, once stacked up , and no splitting, so it works for me. Usually anything 3 " or bigger goes home with me. Of course, they left the 3 " ones, and got all the 4 , 5 and 6" ones. Funny thing, not sure what I would do if/when I catch the aholes in the lot, though I am considering carrying some kind of weapon with me when I head there, cause I am usually solo. Not a capital punishment offense mind you, but sure deserving of some "negativity". As for visible proximity to the public , no way. 100 yds off road, down no traveled logging road into private woodlot. I told cops who park on lot frontage for a speedtrap, and they told me they had not seen anyone in there for 5 years ! And from the proverbial live and learn dept., never again. I cut it, it goes home same day or the branches stay on, and it lays where it fell.

yup, hate to break it to ya, but wood sitting close to the road is considered free wood by most.....especially if it is unattended.

I'm not saying I agree, just saying that wood left unattended by the road around here would be gone about three minutes after you left the property

Amen. I don't cut any more than I can spit and haul home THAT TRIP. Never. There are times I have to scout for "filler-uppers" to finish a load because I estimated load volume wrong, but I don't leave any behind. May as well deliver it for free as to leave it for the taking.

Sorry to hear about your work going to waste!! (Kind like welfare) I have never had a any wood taken from me yet and my pile is close to the road. But I see more and more strange cars and trucks back our road then ever. It helps that we got two big dogs that run free around the farm too. The only wood that gets (stolen) is the wood My dad seems to find real essay to give others permission too take.. Man he got a big mouth!!!!

attachment.php

I have a friend who has a nice piece of timber and from time to time advertises "free firewood", typically folks will call, come over and cut some and take it away. One day someone calls and wants to know if "...the free firewood is delivered?"

Mark

Yeah, we give stuff away on a free webgroup all the time, you wouldn't believe the number of people who call and want you to deliver it to them. :dizzy:

Yep, i knew where you were headed with that story right away. I cut by the road on occasion. I have noticed if I leave it in about 6-8 foot log sections nobody messes with it. Ill cut it up when I go to pick it all up. Generally these guys are pretty lazy and thats why they arent cutting their own wood.

THat sucks though, Id go buy a new saw now that you have to do so much more cutting.:clap:

I learned a long time ago not to leave firewood lying after having a big pile stolen. I even had some jerk steal some that I had stacked in my driveway next to my house a few years ago while I was at work! I stack it in the basement now. I know how you feel man.

I have a friend who has a nice piece of timber and from time to time advertises "free firewood", typically folks will call, come over and cut some and take it away. One day someone calls and wants to know if "...the free firewood is delivered?"

Some people are just plain stupid. They don't understand the value of work and often times that's why they need the free firewood.

Dummies.

Bummer

I can't help you stop the theft, but I can tell you how to find out who did it, and possibly punish them at the same time. Next time just drill a large, 2 inch aproximatly, hole in the end of a log. Make it as deep as possible, a foot or more if possible. Get a piece of large diameter section of copper tube about a foot long, depends on how deep the hole is. Solder caps on both ends and drill 1\4 inch hole in one end and fill with black powder. Tamp powder as solidly as possible and insert cannon fuse and glue into hole. Place pipe into hole in log and make a plug for hole, cut off plug and place log in middle of pile. If some one steals wood you will soon read about it. If wood is not stolen make SURE!!! you can identify the log. JR

I can't help you stop the theft, but I can tell you how to find out who did it, and possibly punish them at the same time. Next time just drill a large, 2 inch aproximatly, hole in the end of a log. Make it as deep as possible, a foot or more if possible. Get a piece of large diameter section of copper tube about a foot long, depends on how deep the hole is. Solder caps on both ends and drill 1\4 inch hole in one end and fill with black powder. Tamp powder as solidly as possible and insert cannon fuse and glue into hole. Place pipe into hole in log and make a plug for hole, cut off plug and place log in middle of pile. If some one steals wood you will soon read about it. If wood is not stolen make SURE!!! you can identify the log. JR

That would work If you want to kill the guy!!!! and go to prison

Back