Excavating around a Poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjstro

Reaction score
Hi.

My back yard is a hill. At the top of the hill are about a dozen Poplar trees. I'd say about 16" to 24" in diameter and well over a 100 ft high. They are randomly spaced in a fifty foot line. The top of the hill is flat land so that the contour of the land behind the trees is flat and that in the front of the tree is about a 45 - 60 degree slope leading to my house. The steepest part of the slope is closest to the tree tapering off as it comes to my house. I would like to have the area excavated so that there is a flat spot that we can use as a yard for a swing set etc... How far from the trunk can this excavating (leveling) be done safely without fear of the tree falling on my house?? My house is about 15 - 20 feet below (deep) the base of the trees and about 50 - 60 foot away from them as well.

How far from the base / trunk of the tree can I start leveling my yard? What angle should the slope be? Any help you could give would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back