Excellent Description of Cable Yarding Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This popped up this morning. I secretly spent a morning setting chokers. I wandered down into the unit checking stuff on a Monday morning. The rigging crew hadn't shown up so one of the owners was dragging line and setting chokers. I felt sorry for him and ended up getting a good lesson on how to do it. Plus, I had sore muscles from doing something on the weekend and the choker setting made me feel better. It's a bit like doing productive yoga with some physics thrown in (hook this log here, it'll bounce off that stump and the log'll go right up). Time flew by. I had left my lunch up at the truck so bid adieu and hiked out. As I arrived on the road, a couple of fallers stopped and exclaimed that I had too much grease on my clothes, and offered some paper towels to wipe my shirt off with. That's just some of the humor that can be found in the woods. I've always liked the sound of whistles in the woods, except when standing on the landing.

These are the best videos I've seen showing how it works.

Very cool video.
When I was a kid, all the local logging was done with skidders. That meant lots of steep trails you could hike up during deer season if you had strong legs and lungs. At some point the focus shifted to yarders which meant there were no trails up the clearcuts any more.

Latest posts

Back