Rigging question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clark10

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have some logs that are down hill and in a steep ravine that is about 40' deep. I've set up rigging so that we could skid the logs up hill in the past. Essentially I had trolley on a rope high line. I ran another rope from a choker on a log through the trolley, a block at the uphill anchor point, straight down to another block, and then to a tractor to pull.

I'm thinking that this time I need to keep the logs off the slope as the damage would be too severe. I was considering using a porta wrap with another set of blocks and line at the down slope end to provide some tension on the log or trolley to keep the log suspended off the ground.

This is not a big time logging operation. When I say trolley I mean like what you use on a zip line not a diesel powered cable logging one. ;-) This is obviously a way to do this economically and safely. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I imagine there is possibly a better way to do this with different equipment and I'm open to ideas, just think economical when making suggestions. I will need to purchase a porta wrap with rope etc. or what ever else you suggest so retailers, rigging kit advice welcomed.

Thanks!

It depends on the size of the logs.

Make sure the man on the port-a-wrap is not in harms way should the tractor pulling line break. He's going to be downhill at the bottom of a zip line.

If this is big wood the port-a-wrap could get quite warm.

It depends on the size of the logs.

Make sure the man on the port-a-wrap is not in harms way should the tractor pulling line break. He's going to be downhill at the bottom of a zip line.

If this is big wood the port-a-wrap could get quite warm.
Good points. Big Leaf Maple and Doug Fir about 6-12 inch diameter, cut to any length desired but usually a 12 " maple would be cut to 8-10' length to keep it on the lighter side.

A skidding cone on the front of the log helps keep it from trenching the ground as it moves, and also helps guide it past stumps, rocks, or similar obstacles.
Good suggestion but I need to stay off the sensitive slope all together.

Why not just slack off your mainline, attach log to trolley by a choker, then retention the high line?

Why not just slack off your mainline, attach log to trolley by a choker, then retention the high line?
I think I understand your idea. I may need clarification. To me the high line is what the trolley runs on. A rope runs through the trolley and has a choker at the end that goes down to the log.

If I get your meaning, I would attach the choker to the trolley in a fixed way and have a main line running from the trolley to a block so that the load would be pulled up to the landing along the high line. I would do this by slackening the high line so that the choker could reach the logs at the downhill end and then lift the load initially by re-tensioning the high line. At this point I could pull the main line, load, along the tensioned high line up to the landing. Did I get it right? I think I could do this by switching the loads between the the tractor. Would you use a port-a-wrap to provide the captured line form the re-tentioned line
?

I think I understand your idea. I may need clarification. To me the high line is what the trolley runs on. A rope runs through the trolley and has a choker at the end that goes down to the log.

If I get your meaning, I would attach the choker to the trolley in a fixed way and have a main line running from the trolley to a block so that the load would be pulled up to the landing along the high line. I would do this by slackening the high line so that the choker could reach the logs at the downhill end and then lift the load initially by re-tensioning the high line. At this point I could pull the main line, load, along the tensioned high line up to the landing. Did I get it right? I think I could do this by switching the loads between the the tractor. Would you use a port-a-wrap to provide the captured line form the re-tentioned line
?
I would take your highline, tie it off to a stout tree. Run across the ravine to another solid tree, I probably set a block in that one 6 feet up. And attach the end to a pickup at minimum or a tractor that you can move easily. To skid you would slack the highline, put a choker on the log, fasten that to your trolley, add a second controll line, then use a capstain winch or another tractor or quad to pull the log over to your side if uphill, porta wrap if they are going downhill. Slack off main, unhook, repeat.
For even less contact with the slope, use 2 trolleys with a rod between

I get what you're saying. Depending on the height above landing and slope the double trolley makes good sense. Thanks.

There are dozens of logs and this is a near vertical slope with previous slope instability with sensitive native plant revegetation. The land owners don't want the slope disturbed.

Back