Excuses you use to justify your CAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
"I always wanted one of those saws".

"People always say good things about that model, I'm going to have to get one to try for myself".

"How does this x model stack up against my y model? Going to have to get one and find out."

"That saw was too cheap to pass up".

"Those saws were too cheap to pass up".

"I need a parts saw to keep my other saw running".

"It was given to me".

"I need a different saw for every different task".

"It's a good hobby and keeps me out of the bars".

"I can make some spare money doing repairs on them".

"I cut wood and need more than one in case of a breakdown."

That's just a few that I can come up with off the top of my head,. Any others you can add? And yes, I'm guilty of quite a few of those.

"The pandemic created a supply shortage and I was able to sell my older saws for nearly or exactly what I paid".

"I had to replace the sold saws".

I only got 3 saws so I'm not sure if I have CAD. I got a lot of chains though, so a small bit of CAD.

My CAD is a temporary affliction. In a short while I went from one to eight. No wait, nine. Of those nine Ive decided to keep three. Maybe two. Space in my shed and garage have value. I like all of the saws (except a Wild Thing) but I’m a homeowner who needs to cut some firewood. I don’t need a “3-saw plan” and sure as heck not a 9-saw plan.

I see old fellows leaving behind mountains of stuff for their widows to sort through and try to sell, getting rid of it for cheap. I don’t want to be that guy.

My CAD is a temporary affliction. In a short while I went from one to eight. No wait, nine. Of those nine Ive decided to keep three. Maybe two. Space in my shed and garage have value. I like all of the saws (except a Wild Thing) but I’m a homeowner who needs to cut some firewood. I don’t need a “3-saw plan” and sure as heck not a 9-saw plan.

I see old fellows leaving behind mountains of stuff for their widows to sort through and try to sell, getting rid of it for cheap. I don’t want to be that guy.
I already AM that guy. "why did he need all these spare engines?" and, "what are those over there?"

It depends on the saw for me. I justify some of my saw purchases because I use them for side work. I've also got a couple of Stihl 044s that I picked up for free. I don't use them much anymore, but they were test beds for cylinder modifications/porting.

I learned a lot about tuning with them, so it was a fun experiment owning them. I'll likely sell one of them, as the market is nuts about old 0-series Stihls and they are rather redundant in my saw line-up(10 saws total.) I've got carpal tunnel issues and the rubber AV mount Stihls kill my hand.

"I always wanted one of those saws".

"People always say good things about that model, I'm going to have to get one to try for myself".

"How does this x model stack up against my y model? Going to have to get one and find out."

"That saw was too cheap to pass up".

"Those saws were too cheap to pass up".

"I need a parts saw to keep my other saw running".

"It was given to me".

"I need a different saw for every different task".

"It's a good hobby and keeps me out of the bars".

"I can make some spare money doing repairs on them".

"I cut wood and need more than one in case of a breakdown."

That's just a few that I can come up with off the top of my head,. Any others you can add? And yes, I'm guilty of quite a few of those.
I’ve been using the first two and the last one a lot. working at a saw shop doesn’t exactly help the situation. I got some sweets saws though.

I know that feeling.

My current 3-saw-plan is in the very high 40's so not sure if that qualifies me for CAD, but....
"I'd like to try one for myself" is prolly my main excuse.... however, I have made a reasonable amount of money in the past with other addictions (tools for example), so I have hope that CAD might turn out the same......

Some other very acceptable excuses...

"Everybody seems to think this saw is just amazing"

"I ran one of these saws when I was younger, and I want my boys to experience it too"

"I'm sick of all the bragging about that saw, I'm gonna buy one and prove to myself that it's bs"

"I need a lighter saw for the small stuff"

"I need a bigger saw for the big stuff"

"I could save 7 seconds a day with this saw"

"This one saw could replace a half dozen others in my 3 saw plan"

"This model is about to be discontinued, I gotta get one while I still can"

"I might buy some land with a big tree on it, so I need to buy a 90 cc saw"

"I think I can make a few bucks on this saw"

"I just got a new cutting job, so I need this saw"

"I thought that other guy at the auction would bid one more time"

"This saw looked pretty impressive in the video"

Latest posts

Back