Expert tuning help please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK I have two Jonsy 2050s, a Mac 130, and a 395XP. Bar for the XP hasn't gotten here yet, so no chance to fool with tuning it. On my '88 Mac and my '97 Jonsy when I richen the hi, it burbles like it should and then I lean it to where it sounds right. The newer '00? 2050 had the stupid plastic thingies on the the screw, and I pulled the screen outta the muffler, and figured I should retune it. I clipped the plastic limiter tabs off with wire cutters, but no matter how much I richen it, it won't burble under throttle. I richened it til it messed up the idle and still doesn't seem to affect the Hi. What's the deal? Am I retarded?

On some of the newer EPA carbs the H jet only control some of the fuel flow with a fixed jet regulating the rest. If this is how your carb is designed, then maybe your fixed jet is too small or starting to get clogged.

David B said:
OK I have two Jonsy 2050s, a Mac 130, and a 395XP. Bar for the XP hasn't gotten here yet, so no chance to fool with tuning it. On my '88 Mac and my '97 Jonsy when I richen the hi, it burbles like it should and then I lean it to where it sounds right. The newer '00? 2050 had the stupid plastic thingies on the the screw, and I pulled the screen outta the muffler, and figured I should retune it. I clipped the plastic limiter tabs off with wire cutters, but no matter how much I richen it, it won't burble under throttle. I richened it til it messed up the idle and still doesn't seem to affect the Hi. What's the deal? Am I retarded?

... and on some saws you'll never hear a burble - just a lowering of tone in the muffler sound. Generally, the smaller the saw, they less chance of accurate tuning by "burble". Borrow a Tach and get a feel for what your saw sounds like at different rpm.

Latest posts

Back