Exploding clutch.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ll get some heat, that’s fine so long as it saves someone else from making my mistake.

I know better and it was a careless momentary lapse of awareness. Doing some repair work and had the clutch drum off. Dropped some fuel down the carby and pulled it over. It started, the clutch span, stretched the springs and the shoes went flying.

Fortunately it just hit my knuckles and nothing else - swelling and cut but minimal pain. I could have been blinded, lacerated my throat or smashed my teeth.

Never spin a C/F clutch without a drum on.

5C6A8866-FD8D-4B6B-8A33-04EEBEA4B769.jpeg

C369BC91-5CB9-459A-B6EF-8CE41371D309.jpeg

Way to go, Tom! Glad you didn't suffer more damage.
I once, after changing a rim sprocket for a friend on his Husqvarna with outboard clutch, fired up the saw without bar and chain in his driveway.

Naturally, the untightened clutch unscrewed itself and took off down his drive and out into the street. It did a great job of dodging traffic and came to rest in the middle of a lane.

Lessened learned.

Way to go, Tom! Glad you didn't suffer more damage.
I once, after changing a rim sprocket for a friend on his Husqvarna with outboard clutch, fired up the saw without bar and chain in his driveway.

Naturally, the untightened clutch unscrewed itself and took off down his drive and out into the street. It did a great job of dodging traffic and came to rest in the middle of a lane.

Lessened learned.
Thanks mate, that’s crazy, glad your incident wasn’t bad either! 👍

Everyone makes decisions that afterwards seem so obvious that they were a bad idea from the start.
Glad that the damage to you had was minimal.
This is so spot on! Thanks John.

I recall reading somewhere a chap was oiling his motorbike chain with it in gear while holding a cloth around the chain. It caught, took his fingers through the rear sprocket and made minced meat of them. Another example of something so obvious. Small careless lapses in judgement and thought, yet somehow are overlooked at the time.

I’ll get some heat, that’s fine so long as it saves someone else from making my mistake.

I know better and it was a careless momentary lapse of awareness. Doing some repair work and had the clutch drum off. Dropped some fuel down the carby and pulled it over. It started, the clutch span, stretched the springs and the shoes went flying.

Fortunately it just hit my knuckles and nothing else - swelling and cut but minimal pain. I could have been blinded, lacerated my throat or smashed my teeth.

Never spin a C/F clutch without a drum on.

View attachment 977641

View attachment 977643
Experience! The best teacher.

There is a clutch somewhere up in the ceiling of the old shop I used to work out of. That space up there has 2 feet of blown in cellulose insulation, no way I was going to to go up through the access hatch about 30' away and crawl through the insulation looking for a clutch. The young fellow that started the saw about crapped his pants, then turned ghostly white. It didn`t hit him so all was ok, I had many spare clutches to fit his saw.

I recall reading somewhere a chap was oiling his motorbike chain with it in gear while holding a cloth around the chain. It caught, took his fingers through the rear sprocket and made minced meat of them. Another example of something so obvious. Small careless lapses in judgement and thought, yet somehow are overlooked at the time.

Experience! The best teacher.
All you have to do is SURVIVE.

A guy that worked in my Dad's long-ago metal finishing company, watched the old timers spin the big nuts onto the polishing jacks with their fingers, and thought he'd be cool and do the same - only they all did it bare-handed - all you were going to lose was a little skin, if anything went wrong.

He did it in a pair of those sort of loose fuzzy work gloves. They got the thumb to the hospital along with him, but it was too mangled to put back.

Latest posts

Back