External mounted donaldson intake/air cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an older ('95) Timberwolf 12" disc chipper. The thing still runs like a beast. I've been runnin it for 8+ years and it eats wood like a champ, and doesnt stop. Although it does run hot (~220degrees) It has a Ford straight 6 in it.
I am in the midst of upgrading the air filter/cleaner on it. I bought an external mount Donaldson Air intake.

I am going to cut a hole in the top of the chipper body panel right above the carburetor. I have a 2-1/2 inch 90degree rubber elbow to attach to the horizontally mounted air filter. All from Donaldson
(In the end all partsand all cost me $390!!! also with new muffler($110) and 2 muffler mounting brackets and exhaust elbow as well.) Seems expensive..)

Anyway, my question:

Q: iF I GET A 2-1/2 HOLE SAW FROM HOME DEPOT AND CUT THE HOLE TO PUT THIS TOGETHER, WILL RAIN AND WATER LEAKAGE ONTO THE CARBURETOR AND ENGINE BECOME A PROBLEM LEAKING THROUGH THE HOLE, AND HOW CAN THIS BE AVOIDED?
HOW IS THIS HANDLED WITH CHIPPERS THAT HAVE THIS STANDARD FROM THE FACTORY? aNY PICTURES ANYBODY?

Should I worry about this?

Thank you very much guys!

Last edited:
Back