Fair price for a tune up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebrage

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have an older Stihl 028 wb, I don't know much about small engines. What's a fair price to pay someone for a tune-up?

Define a tuneup.... Are you just looking for a new plug or do you want someone to completely go through the fuel system and replace filters, lines and rebuild the carb?

$70 per hour +parts.

$100 should cover a general going over and tune up...

$150 would be new chain, sprocket and possible bar....

Where in the heck are people charging $90 an hour?? Only places around here doing that are power sports places.

$70 per hour +parts.

$100 should cover a general going over and tune up...

$150 would be new chain, sprocket and possible bar....

Where in the heck are people charging $90 an hour?? Only places around here doing that are power sports places.

Where are you located at?

We're 70$ an hour, more urban/suburban shops are 75-85$ hour
the more rural shops are 55-65$, and the Amish/ Mennonite shops are 40-55$ per hour.
I think John Deere is getting 78$ per hour.

We're the same way 100$-125$ will get you carb cleaned, carb kit, fuel filter, spark plug, new fuel line, air filter cleaned, chain sharpened, bar cleaned and rails trued, carb adjusted, and tested in the wood.

Most shops are going to charge a half or 3/4 of an hour labor plus parts to do a tune up.

Last edited:
The one local place I've checked with around here is $50 an hour.

The BMW/Audi dealer isn't even $100 an hour.

Most shops charge $90 an hour labor plus parts. Probably going to run you $150 give or take a little for a fuel system overhaul and tune.

:agree2: Some will say that's outrageous, but it's always the same when someone brings me a saw....The fuel line is mush, the carb needs a kit and the whole saw is absolutely filthy, so the clean up takes time too!!....@ $100-$150 to do all that you earn every penny!!.....I always vac and pressure test the saw too while the carb is off anyway.....Most shops here actually charge $60-$70 an hour though.

Just picked up my 262xp form the local shop yesterday. They put in a new fuel line from tank to carb plus I got another 20" 3/8 chain out the door for just over $60.00. 20 of that was the chain.

:agree2: Some will say that's outrageous, but it's always the same when someone brings me a saw....The fuel line is mush, the carb needs a kit and the whole saw is absolutely filthy, so the clean up takes time too!!....@ $100-$150 to do all that you earn every penny!!.....I always vac and pressure test the saw too while the carb is off anyway.....Most shops here actually charge $60-$70 an hour though.

And hell half the repairs that come it's cheaper to put new carbs on them,
instead of putting a kit in it.

+1..I charge the same in my shop and in the heart of saw season I give them a flat rate of $150.00 for any saw tune-up it includes all filters, kits,plug (installed) and the cleaning of the saw(takes the most time)and I sharpen the chain also testing and fill the tank and oil for them. I also give the customer a premium mix for the fuel/oil so it runs correct when they pick the saw up. How ever long it takes me the flat fee works well and have a happy customer with a like new running saw.

Virginia Beach, Virginia....hello..They charge $80-90 per hour here, why do you think I fix so may saws AND that's just to tell you what's wrong with it. It goes toward the repair, but if you say to forget it and it comes back in a box! :msp_scared:

Have tons of guys call me to fix there saws, maybe cause the Stihl mechanic slips them my number and tells them to call me!:msp_biggrin:

Even the little Mom and Pop shops start at $80.

It goes toward the repair, but if you say to forget it and it comes back in a box! :msp_scared:

We don't assemble saws when they don't want to repair it. What for? It's gonna cost them more to put it back together. We charge $30 to troubleshoot, that goes toward the repair otherwise it's in pieces.

average around here is 50 an hour + parts min 1 hour labor,,,, i myself charge 20 an hour + parts min 1/2 hour charge,,,

i was thinking of charging $40 per hour +parts with a $10 minimum whats everyones opinion on this local dealer charges 65 an hour with a half hour minimum........ i have had 10 request to work on saws and atvs in the last week u rebuild one for someone and they tell someone and before u know it ur flooded with work.... i stay busy with a 60 hour a week job to boot:msp_biggrin:

Ours is a $25 min bench charge...comes to $27.00 with tax...and yes if we dont fix it goes out in a box...

Latest posts

Back